Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2013 15:00

M17X R4 black screen crash

Hi, im having a problem with my laptop, it only startyed this week but its hapening every time in playing multiple games, fifa 13 / battlefield 3 etc.

As i am playing after about 20 - 30 minutes into the game the laptop will crash to a black screen, sound will stop and keyboard is unresponsive (ctrl, alt, del, etc) and i have to hold down the power key to restart, however if i leave it at the black screen for around a minute sudenly the screen starts to flicker with multiple colours flashing randomly and really fast (kinda like a rave).

I thought it may be the screen however it works fine all day using it routinely (browsing internet etc) it only happens when playing games so i thought it my be a heating issue with the CPU or more likely the GPU.

My CPU is intel core i7-3720QM and my GPU used for gaming is Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M.

i thought it best as problems where occuring to make sure all drivers were up to date so i updated the drivers on both of them and still have the same problem, i even updated the BIOS driver and still the same.

I have only had the laptop purchased new from dell in september/October 2012 so its still in warrenty etc but i am at a loss as what to do next.

I also tried to monitor the heat levels of the GPU and the highest level it rises to while playing battlefield 3 on max settings is between 70 - 80 degrees centigrade

so doesnt seem to high and i can hear the fans while playing so i believe they are running ok but i still find the bottom of the laptop hot to touch when playing games.

also i dont overclock and have never even attempted to so its not that either... im at  loose end and dont think i shud be experiencing these problems with a laptop thats practically brand new, ANY help would be apreciated as to what to do next.

Thanks

3.3K Posts

March 12th, 2013 15:00

Hi RoonsteRUK84,

To isolate/resolve the issue follow below mentioned troubleshooting:

Clean Air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  2. Use a compressed air can to blow the dust out of the vents. Be sure to hold the can at an upright (near 90 degree angle) and hold it 15-20 centimeters (6-8 inches) away from the target.
  3. Turn off the System
  4. Remove all power sources: Unplug the AC Adapter and Remove the Battery, or Unplug the Desktop Power Cord.

Hardware Diagnostics Check:

Run diagnostics on the computer (restart the computer by holding FN and Power button simultaneously) let the diagnostics complete.

For more information refer below link link:

http://dell.to/ZH1RKc

Awaiting your response!

March 13th, 2013 14:00

Cleaned the laptop out and all seems to be fine lol must have been the dust etc but removed CPU and GPU and all seems fine now, thanks temps are now staying around 65 when running games and boot screen is back to it normal self, thanks all

1 Message

September 5th, 2014 23:00

Hi there ; i have the exact same problem  with the exact same config and my warranty's about to end so.... i send them 2 times and it work for 1 month before the same problem came back....... Any permanent possible solution for me??? ; i also buy a 65$ cooling pad but....

September 8th, 2014 09:00

Hi after all the tests etc and no resolution, i found out what the error message was from the crash report using program called bluescreen dump, basically shows u the crash report etc, after contacting dell i had an engineer come out and replace the motherboard and the GPU as it was the GPU/Motherboard issue that has happened before. 

so far all is working fine so i recommend replacing the above, as ur problem started whilst ur under warranty i recommend using ur warranty as they cant exactly say its out of warranty etc if u reported the issue before it was.

good luck

No Events found!