Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

May 7th, 2017 15:00

M17x R3 6990m not detected

Hello. i have an issue that started playing, multiple blue screen.

i resetted my m17x r3 with home windows 7 that came with, but now the system does not detect my credit card radeon 6990m. only intel integrated. i have bios A12, and when i try to install from scratch the newest driver from AMD official site, on the process, the screen goes black and the computer is not responsive anymore. 

I'm not an expert but not noob. I have done so many things.

went to bios and change primary display com SG to PEG and then i just get beeps, i think 8. had to remove the battery on mother board and stuff to get it back.

reisntall windows again (now im in windows 10), and a lot of things. but is weird. i will show a picture of device manager so you can see how it shows the card.

also used DDU to have all drivers out and all, but really can't make it. it won[t work. i can't install drivers and card is not correctly detected.

this is the latest drivers i'm trying to install amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit

really would like some help.

2 Attachments

May 8th, 2017 08:00

Thank you SO MUCH  for this tremendous insight. i will try that as soon as i get back home and let you know if this works, but as your evidence suggests, it might be totally accurate. i will let you guys know my results.

one question, after i install that driver, i should NOT update it anymore? just stay with that one as it is?

thanks again!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Windows Update may hoze the drivers.   You may need to keep the old version forever as there WILL NOT be any new updated drivers for these series cards.

The other thing I would install is DOTNET PATCH 4.6.2  OFFLINE Version in-place update to the Microsoft .NET Framework 4/4.5/4.5.1/4.5.2/4.6/4.6.1. The offline package can be used in situations where the web installer cannot be used due to lack of internet connectivity.   If it says its not needed that's fine.

You will also want Directx 10 patch from June 2010.

Download DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) from Official Microsoft Download Center 

You download the file then extract to A FOLDER then run DXSETUP.EXE as administrator.

Download Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 (Offline Installer) for Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, … 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

You cant install the Latest Driver for a Radeon HD2000, HD3000, HD4000, HD5000, HD6000, HD7000, HD8000 series because ALL of these are Deprecated as Legacy.   All are End of Life End of Support. This driver is provided "as is" and will not be supported with further updates, upgrades or bug fixes.

You can ONLY install the Legacy driver for this model GPU.

Legacy WIN10 Notebook

This means the Auto Detect feature will also NEVER WORK Again because these cards are no longer supported.  Applicable Products:

• AMD Radeon™ R5 235X, Radeon™ R5 235, Radeon R5™ 230, Radeon™ R5 220 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 8470, Radeon™ HD 8350, Radeon™ HD 8000 (D/G variants) Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 – HD 7600 (including A/D/G/M variants) Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 (including A/D/G/M variants) Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 (including M variant) Series Graphics

Applicable Operating Systems:

• Windows® 10 (32 & 64-bit versions)
  • Windows® 8.1 (32 & 64-bit versions)
  • Windows® 7 (32 & 64-bit versions)

Download Drivers 

MANUALLY SELECT DRIVER

AMD Radeon™ Software Support for Legacy Graphics Products

AMD Radeon™ R5 235X, Radeon™ R5 235, Radeon™ R5 230, Radeon™ R5 220, Radeon™ HD 8470, Radeon™ HD 8350, Radeon™ HD 8000 (D/G variants), Radeon™ HD 7000 Series (HD 7600 and below), Radeon™ HD 6000 Series, and Radeon™ HD 5000 Series Graphics products have been moved to a legacy support model and no additional driver releases are planned. This change enables us to dedicate valuable engineering resources to developing new features and enhancements for graphics products based on the GCN Architecture.

As a courtesy to our valued supporters we are providing a final Beta driver together with the release of the AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition. The AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta driver includes the redesigned user interface as well as some enhanced features. More information can be found in the AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 for Non GCN Products Release Notes.

For users looking for a WHQL certified driver, the AMD Catalyst™ 15.7.1 driver will continue to be available for users running Windows® 10, Windows® 8.1, and Windows® 7.

Users running Windows® Vista and older Microsoft® operating systems can use the AMD Catalyst™ 13.12 driver.

Users running supported Linux distributions can use the AMD Catalyst™ 15.12 proprietary drivers. These drivers are available for download on the Drivers + Download Center page.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 8th, 2017 11:00

What does ePSA Diagnostics (outside of Windows) say about the AMD video card?

Did either you or Windows Update get the proper Intel Chipset drivers correctly installed first? Like during or directly after Windows First-Time-Setup?

This machine is pretty old and not Dell certified to run Windows-10. I think you will have much better luck clean-installing Windows-7 (64bit). At least machine will again be running a supported OS.

May 8th, 2017 11:00

Ok, so i did a recovery to the point before i installed everything, later i used DDU to have no drivers on. i installed the file you told me and go installation compelte, but with error (log attached). i have CCC installed but it wont open (error attached). now im installing the last two drivers you told me.

and i got this on device manager.

i'm not sure if the computer is detecting correctly my graphic card as you can see in Sandra, it does not detect it or show it available. 

1 Attachment

May 8th, 2017 12:00

All the diagnostics I did show no issues on graphic card, either from dell.com site or with FN button pressed on startup. here is a picture of what Bios is saying:

so it knows it has some ATI GPU there, but doesn't know which one.

I installed windows 7 that came with the computer, and then upgraded to windows 10.

It sounds like a good plan to clean-isntall to windows 7 and leave it there and follow this instructions to see if it works there, instead than in windows 10. 

BTW, i installed again the drivers above, and it completed the installation correctly, but still same error.

Do you guys know which chipset driver should i install? in my dell.com support drivers to download it recommends me a lot of them and don't know which one should it be. i just want to clean install it correctly and have it working ok.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 8th, 2017 13:00

FelipeAtton wrote:

1. All the diagnostics I did show no issues on graphic card,

2. so it knows it has some ATI GPU there,

3. but doesn't know which one.

1. Good

2. Looks promising

3. There is only one AMD video card. And then the Intel Integrated one. Looks ok to me.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 8th, 2017 13:00

Yes, it is confusing. I think some of the database descriptions and dates are wrong. 

After a clean-install of Windows-7/64bit, on a m17-R3

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/alienware-m17x-r3.html

I think I would install this Intel Chipset driver, as the first driver manually installed:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/DriversDetails?productCode=alienware-m17x-r3&driverId=CG3R7

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 9th, 2017 05:00

Catalyst Control Center is a DOTNET Application.  It DOES NOT RUN or WORK without DOT NET Framework installed. NO VERSION OF WINDOWS XP VISTA 7 8 10 COMES WITH DOTNET INSTALLED By Default. Thats Why I said DOTNET 4.6.2 or later STANDALONE INSTALL.

The INTEL Graphics and Dell OEM video card drivers are highly integrated.  You must install them in SETS.  So the INTEL and AMD Graphics drivers FROM DELL Should be the Base install.

May 9th, 2017 16:00

k so i did the following.

install windows 7 with original alienware cd.

then on setup i disabled windows up or recommended settings so nothing is installed without my aproval.

later i installed as mentioned above the chipset driver, and then the framework driver.

later i installed intel graphics 3000 driver.

at this point all is going good so i generated a recovery point. and it was a good call.

now i installed the first driver that this graphic card displayed, which is 

R307094

Install was going and in the middle, again: black screen, computer still on but all freeze. only five second pressing the power button works. 

then go back to windows like nothing happen.

so i dont know what to do now.

if you  want i can upload a vido of the install with that driver, that as i remember it is like the first one i installed ever.

help!!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 9th, 2017 16:00

That procedure looks correct.

You took some good notes.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

May 9th, 2017 17:00

yep, it is A12

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 9th, 2017 18:00

I'm running out of ideas here.

1. Can you confirm that any available Over-Clocking in BIOS is turned OFF?

2. Are you familiar with working inside computers and laptops?

May 10th, 2017 03:00

Oc is off. I checked it yesterday and remember the good old days

overclocking my athlon 64

I built my own pc so i can manage to get my hands into this.

May 10th, 2017 03:00

Oc is off. I checked it yesterday and remember the good old days overclocking my athlon 64

I built my own pc so i can manage to get my hands into this.

No Events found!