Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2013 19:00

M17x R3 Audio issues

I have an alienware m17x r3, and i have gotten a quite severe issue which affects both my sound quality and performance. The audio sometimes "sparks" or "stutters". It does not seem to be because of a windows update, or general winrot. as it persisted through a reformatting. I also installed the newest BIOS drivers, as that was a suggested way to fix the problem. Although it got much better after the formatting, it has now returned, and I would like to stop the issue before it becomes as bad as it was last time.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? is there a solution out there?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 1st, 2013 22:00

Did you clean install like this?

Order is important (chipset first). Use latest version of drivers.

ftp.dell.com/.../alienware-m17x-r3-all.html

If you DID install like doc linked above, then just try installing the latest version of audio driver.

January 2nd, 2013 09:00

Hello Yuven,

Try external speakers or headphones and test the audio.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 04:00

I am using a alienware m18x and I have experienced your problems too, sometimes it occured, not always. Luckily, lately it did not occured with me so good luck :D. Try to restart your computer and set the audio option back to default, maybe it wil work.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 04:00

@Karen: I have tried other speakers, and it does not help at all.

@Tesla: Unfortunately, I could not find my install CD, so a friend of mine who is a computer engineer took care of the installations.

Could it be problems with the hardware? Audiocard maybe?

January 3rd, 2013 08:00

Yuven

Send me a PM with your service tag, phone number include the link for this thread and I'll get back to you.

February 7th, 2014 05:00

Hi All,

I am facing this exact issue with my alienware M17XR3. I am not sure what the problem is. Thinking that my operating system is corrupted, I re-installed my system and unfortunately, the problem persists.

While playing any music related app or video related app (games, flash, VLC etc) the sound is completely distorted. After a while the PC becomes dead slow and almost non-responsive. 

Called the customer support and they say that my video card is not functioning properly and advised me to have it replaced with the motherboard as it is mounted. I had high hopes that Alienware would last for at least 3 good years (from the market hype and product price). I am totally disappointed.

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

February 7th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for the reply.!

Yes I am running the latest BIOS. I think I bumped into a thread where this issue was resolved by rolling back the windows update. However, I do not know as to which exact windows update should I uninstall.

• 

2.7K Posts

You can roll back to a date when the system was working properly.

• 

2.7K Posts

Hi All,

I am facing this exact issue with my alienware M17XR3. I am not sure what the problem is. Thinking that my operating system is corrupted, I re-installed my system and unfortunately, the problem persists.

While playing any music related app or video related app (games, flash, VLC etc) the sound is completely distorted. After a while the PC becomes dead slow and almost non-responsive. 

Called the customer support and they say that my video card is not functioning properly and advised me to have it replaced with the motherboard as it is mounted. I had high hopes that Alienware would last for at least 3 good years (from the market hype and product price). I am totally disappointed.

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Mayur.Karanth!

I’m sorry to hear you are having sound issues.

Have you tried to flash the BIOS to the latest version? Try to uninstall the audio driver and reinstall it again that might help.

The distortion happens with both, the speakers and the headset?

February 9th, 2014 12:00

Thanks. Uninstalled all my windows update and my system is running perfectly as of now.

8 Posts

March 25th, 2014 08:00

Same issue, M17X R3. All latest drivers and BIOS. Still occurs after a clean install. Not willing to roll back Windows Updates to correct this however. They're there for a reason. Are enough people having this issue to where Dell will actually do something about it?

March 25th, 2014 15:00

I was actually wondering the same thing. Apparently, quite a lot of them have the same issue. I had called up the customer care, initially when I encountered this problem and they told me to replace my motherboard with the graphic card (because they are mounted). Thankfully, I dug a little and realized its a known issue. Had I taken Customer care advice, I would have been broke now

Its frustrating when a company/corporation completely ignores their previous customers just because there are new models out there . Sadly I payed big sums to buy this laptop and not pebbles.This will be my last Alienware. They forget the thumb rule to give after sales services.

Did not expect this from a very reputed or so called 'world's best gaming laptop' company. 

8 Posts

March 25th, 2014 20:00

I noted one discrepancy. When booting into safe mode, the audio doesn't glitch so it's obviously a driver issue that dell needs to fix. Nothing wrong with the hardware at all

1.8K Posts

March 26th, 2014 16:00

Same issue, M17X R3. All latest drivers and BIOS. Still occurs after a clean install. Not willing to roll back Windows Updates to correct this however. They're there for a reason. Are enough people having this issue to where Dell will actually do something about it?

If the problem doesn't happen while you're on Safe Mode as you said, means it's a software issue. It could be related to the driver for which I recommend to uninstall and re-install the driver. It could also be another application or program interfering with the Sound Card, so System Restore is the best option.

If it were a hardware issue, then it's either the Sound Card or the Speakers. If external speakers or headphones have the same problem, the issue is with the Sound Card and that's when the Motherboard is replaced.

8 Posts

March 26th, 2014 20:00

System restore is not an option with my configuration; however, I have ran sound with a USB audio card, external speakers, and headphones and had the same results with the glitching. I also noted while having issues between the discreet and integrated graphics not cooperating and performing hours of troubleshooting with ideas from another forum here that when I had no graphic drivers installed at all for either device, there was no audio stutter either. When I got the graphic issue fixed with the latest and proper drivers, audio stutter returned. I believe that narrows it down pretty well. Here is my hardware config:

Alienware M17x R3
Intel Core i7 2820QM 2.3GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (4DIMMS)
17.3-inch WideHD+ 1600 x 900 60Hz WLED
1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6870M
500GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD
Slot-Load Dual Layer Bluray Burner
Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio with Optical out
Wireless 802.11 g/n

No Events found!