Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 25th, 2012 06:00

M17x R3 Bios update A12 and 6970m

This may be old news but I only noticed the update today...

Thumbs up to the new bios update for the R3, this implements I the ability to select either discrete GPU or switchable graphics in the bios.

As far as I can see this means you can either opt to use the switchable graphics with Dell/Alienware drivers or select the discrete GPU and use AMD's drivers. Currently I use the 7970m drivers for the R4 and have not had an issue with them but if I ever did, this means I can update to the AMD driver and continue with the discrete GPU only.

17 Posts

December 25th, 2012 06:00

Done in one.

December 26th, 2012 11:00

Hello Mangonz,

Thank you for sharing your feedback we appreciated things like this on the forum.

April 11th, 2013 19:00

I have the m17r3 with the 6970m video card running a12 BIOS.  The latest driver is 8/2011 ! ! !  A lot of programs I'm starting to use tell me my performance will be hindered due to an old driver.  I called Dell customer support and of course got disconnected, and they said there wasn't anything they could do.

Really Dell???  I can't go on AMD's site to download their driver because it won't work for Alienware!!!  What's one supposed to do?!???

October 10th, 2013 07:00

Go snag the Catalyst 13.2 Beta R3 drivers.  They've proven wonderful for a lot of folks, myself included.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2014 08:00

it's because you have a mobility card and the desktop card drivers won't work with it.

just goto AMD's website and download the ATI Driver download tool it will scan, identify your card and download the correct updated driver.

Dell's slackness for not posting the updated drivers but not really their hardware it's a 3rd party component so kind of common practice to always refer to your video card's website for latest drivers. amd for ATI cards nvidia for their cards.

No Events found!