Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2013 21:00

M17x-R4, HDMI-IN no go, Windows 8

System: m17x r4, Geforce 680m, 120hz Display, running Windows 8 64-bit

When I plug the HDMI cable from my ps3 into the HDMI-IN port, the screen flickers then shows the ps3 display perfectly for a split second before going black. I hit FN + F8 to go back to Windows 8, then FN + F8 to try the ps3 via HDMI-IN again and the cycle repeats. I have tried both the Dell recommended Geforce drivers for my service tag as well as the latest reference notebook drivers from NVIDIA for the 680m. I have googled this problem and there seems to be a workaround for my system configuration for those running Windows 7, but the workaround doesn't work for Windows 8. See: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/657511-m17xr3-hdmi-not-working-work-around-nvidia-last.html

Is the Alienware team aware of this issue? Any chance of a workaround being developed?

9 Posts

October 19th, 2013 11:00

Update: This problem still persists but I have found a work-around for Windows 8 users that actually works.

See here: http://alienwarearena.com/forums/topic/28592/hardware/m17x-r4-hdmi-input-question/

You have to go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters and disable your Geforce card. Then plug in your ps3/xbox/whatever to the HDMI-IN and it should work fine.

(Related note: to enable sound on HDMI-IN, go to Control Panel > Sound > Recording > HDMI In > Properties > Listen and check "Listen to this device")

Another annoyance with this fix is you have to do a hard shutdown after you're done with the HDMI-In in order to get back to Windows (and then re-enable your Geforce in Device Manager).

It's unfortunate that Dell has not been able to issue a genuine fix for this issue but at least this works.

February 12th, 2013 16:00

Hi shatteredx,

Have you tested if the same issue happens with different cable?             

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 12th, 2013 16:00

System: m17x r4, Geforce 680m, 120hz Display, running Windows 8 64-bit

When I plug the HDMI cable from my ps3 into the HDMI-IN port, the screen flickers then shows the ps3 display perfectly for a split second before going black. I hit FN + F8 to go back to Windows 8, then FN + F8 to try the ps3 via HDMI-IN again and the cycle repeats.

Sounds like a newer tech. high-end LCD panel. Be sure proper .INF (sorta like a driver) is loaded for that LCD panel. That might help the PS3 to read the proper EDID over the HDMI. Just an idea, but it does sound like some kind of EDID problem.

9 Posts

February 15th, 2013 14:00

Hi Kanndy,

Yes, the problem persists even with a different HDMI cable.

Others have the same issue, see: forums.geforce.com/.../alienware-m17x-r3-hdmi-in-to-ps3-flashes-on-then-off

1 Message

March 19th, 2013 03:00

Hi dude,

I have the same system and when I updated to windows 8 64bit, the only workaround to that is close your lid for 1 sec and re open it when the screen goes blank...

Works for every Blank Screen thing you get on Windows 8

Dell Please Fix This once you know some how the solution is

5 Posts

May 7th, 2013 20:00

I'm having a similar problem except that I notice that my monitor switches off when I plug a HDMI device in the HDMI in port. I'm thinking it might be a driver issue so I'm going to try the drivers from the Dell support site instead of the Nvidia drivers.

*Update* It appears it is the drivers. When I uninstall the nivida driver in the device manager, I can plug something in to the HDMI In port and it works fine. But, when I unplug it, the monitor can't display the desktop, so I have to push the power button and wait for it to shut off. When I turn the computer back on, I just have to wait for the computer to reload the video driver.

This is kind of a hassle, but at least it works.

5 Posts

June 5th, 2013 07:00

Any solution to this problem??? i have my alienware R4 3D with windows 8 and the hdmi input doesn´t work!! what´s the problem dell? i need a solution please...i payed 2000$ for my machine and it´s doesn´t work correctly...please solution.

2 Posts

August 26th, 2013 07:00

Same problem with Alienware M17X R4 and Windows 8.1 Evaluation realease.

Newest Alienware are sold with Windows 8 so i think a solution exist ! Could someone working at DELL Support give a solution to OLD customers ?

If Dell can resolve problemes with newest OS versions, i think i never buy another Alienware ! Support is very important for me. 

10 Posts

November 7th, 2013 21:00

Found a better solution. Switch to HDMI-IN then close and open lid. Works fine on 8.1 with latest drivers straight from NVIDIA.

2 Posts

November 8th, 2013 01:00

Cool ! It works for me. Thanks a lot !

9 Posts

November 8th, 2013 01:00

Hi LVNeptune.

I just tried your solution and it worked! This is great.

I've tried opening and closing the lid in the past and it hasn't worked consistently. I tried it again upon seeing your reply to this thread and it works.

Perhaps Windows 8.1 or the latest NVidia drivers have stabilized something? I'm not sure. I'll reply again to this thread if this solution proves to be unreliable (hopefully not).

In any case, it's good to have multiple solutions, no matter how annoying they might be. I appreciate your input or else I wouldn't have tried this simple solution again.

9 Posts

November 10th, 2013 18:00

Alright, the open/close lid solution doesn't work consistently for me. I'd say it works on the first try maybe 25% of the time.

Disabling the video adapter is still the only consistent way to enable HDMI In use for me.

10 Posts

November 10th, 2013 18:00

Wait about 6 seconds after closing it...Works the first time, every time. :)

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 11th, 2013 08:00

Clarify - Was the issue present in Windows 8 BEFORE you loaded the 8.1 update?

9 Posts

November 11th, 2013 09:00

The issue was present in Windows 8 before the 8.1 update.

I've had the issue since I first purchased my M17x R4 last December and put Windows 8 64-bit on it first thing.

No Events found!