Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2014 09:00

M17x-R4, Screen Static

I am having some issues with my Alienware MX17-R4. I have noticed 2 or 3 times over the past year, that my display starts to have, what looks like, static on the screen. To elaborate, there are non stationary, flickering, white lines that continue to show up on my screen. These lines resemble static that you would see on an older TV. 

The lines appeared directly after i had hooked my PS3 into the HDMI-IN port and turned on the playstation. While the display was turned to the PS3 input, there was no issue with the static. As soon as i returned to the laptops desktop display (after only 5 minutes) the flickering had started. 

I unplugged the the laptop from the wall and while on battery there was no change. I unplugged the battery and used the wall charger to power the laptop and there was no change. I unplugged the battery and let the computer sit over night, plugged it back in( AC charger) and no change.

1.8K Posts

March 19th, 2014 10:00

Hi!

Try connecting the laptop to an external monitor and check if the static/distortion also shows on the other monitor.

2 Posts

March 19th, 2014 10:00

While hooked up to an external display the static is not shown on the external monitor but is still visible on the laptop.

1.8K Posts

March 19th, 2014 13:00

That means the problem is the LCD. Send me a PM with your Service Tag so I can review your case further.

1 Message

March 21st, 2014 07:00

Upon opening my Alienware this morning, I am experiencing the same issue.  I disconnected from peripherals, connected to an external monitor, rebooted several times, and tried with and without power supply, but the horizontal white flickering lines are still there.

Please advise.

1.8K Posts

March 21st, 2014 14:00

Upon opening my Alienware this morning, I am experiencing the same issue.  I disconnected from peripherals, connected to an external monitor, rebooted several times, and tried with and without power supply, but the horizontal white flickering lines are still there.

Hi! 

If the flickering doesn't show on the external monitor, it's also an issue with the LCD.

I've added you as a friend, accept the request then send me a personal message with your Service Tag and a brief description of the problem. 

1 Message

October 11th, 2014 08:00

I have the same problem, would you mind helping me too?

No Events found!