Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2015 18:00

M17x R4 fan running high after recent update

After a windows update last night the fan started running about 2-3 minutes after startup as if i was gaming on a hot day. Really blowing hard and making a lot of noise. CPU pretty idle around 1%.

Rebooted about 10 times and occurred every time.

System history in PC checkup showed a bunch of new services were installed:

DDDriver

DellDataVault

DellDataVaultWiz

DellProf

SupportAssistAgent

Not sure what any of that is, and didn't ask for it, but whatever.

Anyway, watched task manager and noticed that when the fan goes ballistic and exe had popped up with DataVault in its name. So disabled the two DellDataVault services and problem solved!  My nice quiet machine is back.

Just wanted to let Dell know so hopefully they can fix it properly.

Cheers

23 Posts

February 11th, 2015 21:00

I looked in my PC Checkup history and had all the same Dell updates installed. I also noticed that it uninstalled my AlienAutopsy without my knowledge and replaced it with the Support Assist which I never had before. The restoration I did on my computer removed all of them and I have since reinstalled all the Windows updates and the computer is working fine again. It seems to be one of the Dell updates causing the problem. I've seen lots of other users complaining about the same problem today. I don't think it's a coincidence. 

February 12th, 2015 13:00

When I removed the Support Assist, the issue corrected itself. I didn't have Data Vault installed.

1 Message

February 14th, 2015 16:00

By process of elimination I isolated the Dell Data Vault service as the culprit of my GPU fan going Turbo.

1. Windows+R and run "msconfig"
  2. Click on the Services tab
  3. Find "Dell Data Vault"
  4. Uncheck the check box
  5. Reboot

Leaving "Dell Data Vault Wizard" and "Dell SupportAssist Agent" checked and no fan issues since.

To disable auto-updates:

1. Run SupportAssist
  2. Click the gear icon in top-right
  3. Click the Privacy tab
  4. Uncheck "I allow my system to receive these updates and alerts"
  5. (Optional) Uncheck "I allow Dell to collect Service Tag and other system usage data as described above"
  6. Click "Done"

I'm also missing Alien Autopsy and without warning.  Ironically, it was the fan issue that caused me to go looking for AA.  I have no idea what "Dell Data Vault" is or how it's used, but really enjoying my quiet laptop again.

1 Message

February 11th, 2015 18:00

So i just updated and got the same problem, fan is going crazy. I did end the two exe named DataVault but i still hav the problem.. 

2 Posts

February 11th, 2015 19:00

Yeah killing the process didn't work for me either. I had to actually disable the services and re-boot.

Hope that helps.

23 Posts

February 11th, 2015 19:00

The exact same thing happened to my M17x R4 today after yesterday's Window's updates. I set it back to the restore point created before the updates and it's back to normal. This wasn't the first time Windows updates have wreaked havoc on my computer. 

2 Posts

February 11th, 2015 20:00

Hello, I have the same problem but I can not figure out how to stop it. I can not find these .exes in task manager.

12 Posts

February 11th, 2015 22:00

Thank you! You saved me so much trouble. I was about to open up my laptop to see if something got stuck.

Was weirded out when I checked my CPU Heat and it was only 45... Yet my fan was going berserk. Also considered it being a virus but didn't see anything different in Task Manager since this was hidden. Wouldn't have noticed it in Services if it wasn't for you.

And Dell get your together. Never even heard of an update doing this, in fact I would like to point out that I never received any notification that this update would be installed. Also was never asked for permission to install it, although I do see SupportAssist replaced AlienAutopsy.

February 12th, 2015 01:00

So I'm just curious.... is the constant running of the fans a bad thing? Will it cause other issues? I also have noticed with this update that the machine has been quite laggy during the simplest of tasks like word, browsing and even this comment screen took forever to load... 

1 Message

February 12th, 2015 06:00

Unistalled "Dell Data Vault" and "Dell SupportAssistAgent"

Everything works as it should now.

February 12th, 2015 08:00

Latest update did not only do that to my AW 17 but also made my processor hit 100% usage randomly and same on my harddrive,used a restore point at 6/02/2015 which fixed it so far

February 12th, 2015 11:00

Same here man...  I don't let most programs auto-update.  I prefer to know what is happening so that I can more easily troubleshoot problematic updates.

Would anyone mind sharing how to disable dell's auto-updates?  I like alienautopsy, and do not trust dell to handle my updates automatically anymore.  Thanks!

Edit Update:  I've done a quick google search and come up with the fact that the alien autopsy program itself contained the controls over dell's automatic updates.  I'm restoring the image, conveniently from yesterday morning before their meddling, and I'll reset those update controls.  I took a quick look at the new support program and it looks like it lost functionality when compared with autopsy, but I didn't go through the registration process.  I'd appreciate others' opinions on the newer programs in comparison with autopsy.  Hopefully, Autopsy will continue to work fine for me until such time as I, not dell, decides to remove it from my computer.

To the member who asked what effects running the fan at full will have:  it will obviously wear out your fan very quickly, and then overheat your processor, it could burn out your processor, but these computers should shut themselves off.  That said, I had an overheating issue in the first month of ownership that ended in a motherboard replacement (under factory warranty).  However, the fan running should not cause lagginess or loading issues you raised.  It's possible that something else about the update may have caused that problem, though.  I've seen a bit of hanging with mine, but it came from before this particular update.  I may go back to an older image.

12 Posts

I'm more curious about whether or not this update was a "stealth" one... I stated before that I was never asked for permission to install the update, nor was I aware that my computer had even been updated until I saw AlienAutospy disappeared.

What about everyone else? Did you get a notification to install an update? Or did it just do it by itself...

(My computer is set so that Windows Updates are recommended but I have to manually pick which to download and install).

1 Message

February 12th, 2015 16:00

I just wanted to add my voice to this thread.  This started happening to me last night after a reboot of my Dell Alienware 17 laptop.  I was rebooting due to a new Nvidia driver update and thought that was the issue but after watching processes in Task Manager and disabling the Dell Data Vault service on startup, I got the problem to go away.

What exactly IS the Dell Data Vault.  Are there adverse effects to disabling the service? What am I missing out on by not running that service? Is anything else dependent on it?

Specifically, about 2 minutes after booting to the Windows desktop, the fan would blow hard for a second, then very hard for another 1-2 seconds, then stop.  During that time, Windows would appear to lock up for several seconds with no mouse movement.  Apps would freeze.  As a gamer, this is pretty annoying.  I have to wait 3 minutes or so for my system to finish doing that before I can play anything.  I thought my video card was frying out.  Not cool guys.  If you're gonna silently shaft us with broken updates, we deserve an update, patch, or answer of some kind 'cause this was kinda creepy and unprofessional.

No Events found!