Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2013 03:00

M17x R4 nVidia GTX 660M not detected in Bios or Windows resolution follow up

I recently came home to find that my Alienware experienced its first BSOD, and had rebooted and was experiencing  this same/similar issue:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19516320.aspx

I followed the advice listed on the article cited in the discussion and I was able to get the Card recognized and the Intel & then the nVidea cards working. 

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&docid=605751&dgc=SM&cid=249387&lid=4854770

I got the card work working after trying step 5 (press FN+F7), then rebooting.

My question is how can I make sure that system has resumed to switch automatically between the graphics cards?

I prefer not to run the nVidia 24/7 when just doing basic browsing and office work, or when I'm on batter & not playing a intesive game or program.

Thank you

M17x r4

nVidia 660m

win 7 64bit

• 

2.7K Posts

August 9th, 2013 13:00

Hello Micah J Child!

you can take a took on this article it will show you how to manage your programs with the Nvidia card and with the integrated

August 9th, 2013 14:00

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking forward to trying this out later tonight.

August 10th, 2013 02:00

Well I've read the article. I've done a clean re-install of the nVidia drivers. I can't get it so the laptop switched automatically between the Intel integrated graphics and the nVidia card. I either half to manually reboot between by pressing FN+F7 or leave the nvidia card on all the time. I really want this to go back to working how its supposed to work. I purchased this back in March 2013, and its still under warranty and plan.

4 Posts

September 8th, 2015 16:00

Hello. I seem to be having the same problem with my alienware m17x r4.  When I go to device manager, all I see is Intel HD 4000.  I also went into bios to see if I could find it their but no luck.  I've tried wiping the computer and installing the OS and everything from scratch multiple times.  I've tried resetting the card as well (Nvidia gtx 660m 2gb).  I called Dell and sent it in to have the motherboard replaced.  When I got it back, it still didn't detect the discrete gtx 660m in bios or device manager.  I called Dell again and they sent a technician to replace the motherboard again.  The technician couldn't fix it.  Dell asked me to send it in again and they would fix it but again it came back without being fixed.  After the third and final attempt, Dell said they couldn't make it detect the graphics card.  I would really like to have my laptop detect its card again.  Is there anything Dell can do for me to make that happen? I really believe you guys can solve this for me, because I know I can't do it by myself.   Is there anyone at all from Dell that's up for the challenge? I know you guys can do it! You're a great company, and I believe in what you do for us.

No Events found!