Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2013 01:00

M17x R4 weird boot issue

There's something wrong with my M17x R4, in that it doesn't want to boot up properly. Two things that are happening:
1) When I put the laptop into sleep mode, it will sleep. But when I open the lid to use the laptop, it starts the LEDs for a second before shutting down and restarting. Nothing is shown on the screen while this happens. Then the computer restarts and informs me that the computer did not shut down properly, asking me whether to start windows in safe mode or boot normally.
2) If I shut down the laptop, after I press the power button, all the lights turn on, except for the power button itself (the alien head). The lights stay on for a second, turn off for a second and then the computer boots perfectly, without any issues.

This is not a random or rare occurrence, it happens every time I shut down the laptop or put it into sleep mode. What can I do to make it stop doing this? I keep feeling that if I don't solve this, it may lead to bigger issues.

2K Posts

September 29th, 2013 05:00

Hi gamerteen_11,

Request you to try following the below steps which might help:

(1)   You may use the below link and update BIOS and video drivers:

http://dell.to/17emzVP

Select right operating system and download BIOS and video drivers depending upon the type of video card you have.

(2)   Then you may use the below link and run hardware diagnostics:

http://dell.to/1bz2YmL

Make a note of the error messages that gets displayed (if any). Do reply with your answers.

11 Posts

September 30th, 2013 07:00

I updated the BIOS from A09 to A12, however the issue remains. The ePSA diagnostics shows nothing wrong either, although I haven't run the advanced memory tests or any "thorough" tests. Could this be a Motherboard problem? And if so, then would I need to replace the motherboard?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

September 30th, 2013 09:00

gamerteen_11,

This is not a motherboard or hardware issue. This is strictly an operating system power management issue. Go into the Windows Control Panel Power Management options. What options have you chosen? I would not allow sleep or hibernate. The settings I would allow is to turn the LCD monitor off after 5 minutes.

11 Posts

October 1st, 2013 23:00

Well I've kept 4 battery configurations, most of them have the same settings for turning off the computer: close the lid for sleep, press the suspend/hibernate button for hibernate and press the power button for shutting it down. Only one of the plans I have kept the setting to keep it running even after the lid is closed. Maximum LCD turn off time out is 5 minutes and 2 plans have the time out at the lowest of 1 minute.

I would like to use the sleep functions as it allows me to resume my work quicker but more importantly, I'm worried if this current problem is will lead to more problems in the future.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 11:00

I never use my M18x-R1 on battery alone. I always have the AC adapter plugged in. Are you using the sleep/hibernate on battery alone?

11 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 12:00

Well yes, when I put it on sleep or hibernate I remove the charger, though I do keep it charging when it is on and I'm using it.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 06:00

Test going in and out of sleep and hibernate with the AC adapter plugged in.

11 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 10:00

Tested, no luck. I kept the AC adapter connected and charging the laptop, put it on hibernate and tried turning it on, yet the issue remains.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 4th, 2013 08:00

Time to backup all of you data and start over using AlienRespawn to return the system to our Factory image. Once done, retest.

11 Posts

October 5th, 2013 05:00

Yeah, I expected I'll have to wipe the laptop clean somehow. I can't do it now as I need to use it for college work currently, but I'll try and get around to doing it in a week or so.

Thanks for the replies!

No Events found!