Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2014 12:00

M17x r4 (hopefully) power supply issue

Hi Everyone,

I am having what seems to be a serious problem with the power supply for my M17x r4.  It is a bit of a strange one - when I plug the power cable into the wall, the round strip light at the end of the cable turns blue, however as soon as I plug it into the laptop, it goes out.  The laptop has long lost all of it's charge, hence won't turn on.  The light on the power cable light will only turn blue again if I unplug it from the wall and a few minutes, then plug it back in.

Given it's out of warranty, I am hoping it's the power supply and not something more serious.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 Posts

July 31st, 2014 15:00

Mine started doing the same thing last night and the dell tech told me if my power cord light is going off when plugging it into my laptop it is my motherboard.... mine is also 2 months out of warranty.....

2 Posts

August 1st, 2014 03:00

Thanks for the reply.  I wonder if there are any ways to confirm a motherboard issue before embarking on the expensive process of replacing it? 

1.8K Posts

August 4th, 2014 09:00

Hi Everyone,

I am having what seems to be a serious problem with the power supply for my M17x r4.  It is a bit of a strange one - when I plug the power cable into the wall, the round strip light at the end of the cable turns blue, however as soon as I plug it into the laptop, it goes out.  The laptop has long lost all of it's charge, hence won't turn on.  The light on the power cable light will only turn blue again if I unplug it from the wall and a few minutes, then plug it back in.

Given it's out of warranty, I am hoping it's the power supply and not something more serious.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, 

As pointed out above, this is a symptom of a Motherboard failure. It's also the reason why the battery doesn't charge anymore. 

To resolve this problem, the Motherboard has to be replaced. Since the system is out of warranty, I recommend you contact Tech Support in your region and request for out of warranty services. 

No Events found!