Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2015 10:00

M17xR2 Startup Issues- fans spin, lights on, no screen

When I attempt to power the laptop on of of the fans spins rapidly (I think the gpu fan) and the keyboard lights are on but the screen remains black and the laptop does not boot.

What is odd about it is that sometimes it will start up if I've allowed the battery to totally drain and left it unused for a week or so. But once I've successfully started the computer up after this week long battery drain, once I turn it off I am faced with the same problem all over again.

Anyone seen this or know what to do? Can't find anything about it online.

• 

2.7K Posts

March 25th, 2015 16:00

What happen if you connect an external monitor? Are you able to see something in the screen?

3 Posts

March 26th, 2015 09:00

No using an external monitor doesn't do anything. What I notice is that only the back left fan is on at full power while no other fan in the laptop is on. In the cases where it does turn on successfully the fans behave normally

3 Posts

March 26th, 2015 11:00

I think it is related to that as I have had that issue in the past, but when the issue I'm describing now happens the battery charges normally. It is very odd, thanks for the idea

30 Posts

March 26th, 2015 11:00

Have you ever had the issue with " Plugged in - NOT Charging " ?

-

If you do get it booted , check and see what the Battery Icon says .

-

I have experienced what you have described and when my M17x is  " Plugged in - NOT Charging "

then ALL MY PROBLEMS GO AWAY  and everything works fine .

- GOOD LUCK  !

• 

2.7K Posts

March 27th, 2015 15:00

There could be a problem with the video card; however I will recommend you to take the system to a repair shop so they can help you troubleshooting it.

20 Posts

March 27th, 2015 20:00

Have you tried reseating the battery?  Also, have you tried booting with AC power only and no battery?  I had similar symptoms with my m17xR2.  If either of those tricks work, then I think you may have a motherboard issue.  A motherboard replacement fixed my laptop.  I doubt that it has anything to do with the video card.

No Events found!