Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2013 17:00

M17xR3 - No SATA3 Mode for my SSD SATA III drive

So maybe i am a bit confused but it seems that my Ailienware M17xR3 does not seem to be set to leverage the throughput of my ne SSD SATA III drive I just upgraded to from my SATA II drive. 

My understanding is that the M17xR3 is a SATA III supporting laptop (max throughput up to 600MB/s).  As such I would have naturally expected to see higher throughput from my SATA III SSD.  My new drive is an OCZ AGILITY 3 240GB drive with a controller that supports 6gbps  that has throughput capability just over 500MB/s.

But when I executed a few HDTUNE throughput test on this newly install SATA III drive n my Ailianware, I am getting the same throughput that my older SATA II SSD drive and not close the SATA III performance numbers.

Here is image of my test :

0020.M17xR3-SSD-Sata3-Drive-Perf.JPG

And below is the Drive Details info from the same test :

4034.M17xR3-SSD-Sata3-DriveDetails.JPG

So basically, does the M17xR3 support SATA III ?  If so, is this all anyone should expect from a SATA III drive for Windows / Intel platforms that is no better than a SATA II in real world throughput?  Or is something not configured properly that is not allowing my system to fully leverage my SATA III?

2.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 18:00

Hello PerryFreiling

The M17x R3 only supports SATA 2. So while you can install and use a SATA III drive it will only run at the max 3gb/s SATA II speeds.

If you download and read the user manual go to page 112 under specifications where it sates this. You could try running two drives in raid to increase your SATA speeds. That's about all you can do. Sorry  

Good news is if you raid-0 a couple SSD's you will never notice the speed difference in real world usage. Plus your SATA III SSD is now future proof.

January 25th, 2013 17:00

Sadly this is yet another dissapoitment for me on what has become an over-priced laptop that at one time in history was known to be the "ELITE" top end laptop.

When I paid over $2500 for this Ailienware laptop, I thought it would be configured with the top performance components - even at its base level config.  Clearly, since Dell took over the Ailienware brand, they have been cheaping out system components and hoping the brand name will fool the customers that "AILIENWARE" and its premium price means you get the best equipment.

The first DELL Cheap-out was when my ailienware was configured with a base wireless adapter that was inferior to even base low end laptops.  Luckily - after an angry phonecall to Dell support, they agreed and offered me a free upgrade to their top-end wireless adapter.

The second DELL Cheapout was and still is the well known inferior touchpad HW had no driver update can fix.  Causing the touchpad's interaction to often be spotty and non-responsive on touches.  Searching on the blogs agrees that the HW is buggy and inferior.

Now I learn that my powerful Ailienware laptop could be configured with SATA 3 support.  NOT SURPRISING.

I have learned my lesson and it will be the last time I spend this much money on a laptop configuration that I could have found for $1000 less.

1 Message

August 12th, 2013 06:00

i'm so sorry to hear that, i used my m17xr3  for 1 year 1/2  with native 256gb ssd ( samsung ) on hdd slot 1 ( not 0 )   at 400+mb/s  in sata III  with the bios A08 ( my m17xr3 comes with A08). 

Last week my mobo RIP,  so an replacement occurs, and mobo came with A12 bios.

Now my ssd is in sata II.  

i'm sure that i can flash a A08 bios and retreive my SATA III perfs.

Note :i receive my m17  HS ( gpu fan HS ) , and the in the last technical intevention  mobo as been change and gpu and fan kit ( the old thermal pad is not apply correctly from factory !!! )  what about Alienware ( dell ? )  quality ?  i'm tired about aw-dell denial, without any right thecnical explanations.

my m17 is a good laptop, but becose of small issues ( sata II/III)  and  an improper factory assembly ( Gpu thermal fan/pad ) i'm not sure to advise a AW product to my friend or in my work.

news: i've just make the test ( with dell support) and A08 is right...  ssd have SATA III speed on hd1 ...

14/08/2013 : support ask me to stay in bios A08 to be able to have SATA III speed. and close the case.

An IT Pro

DRD

No Events found!