Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2011 04:00

M18X with two x ATI 6900M Graphics cards

Hi, I just recently bought my new M18X system and happy with the performance so far. I wanted top graphics performance in games (by laptop standards), so I  purchased a system configured with two ATI 6900M Display Adaptors running in crossfire configruation.

When I run the Catalyst Control Centre utility to test crossfire configuration (enable CrossfireX is definitely ticked/seleted) and I press the  'identify GPU' button only the number "1" shows up on my screen for a few seconds before fading away, and I was wondering if this means only one GPU is working and therefore not both of the 6900M GPU/Graphics Cards are working?

Or does it just mean there is only one monitor attached to the laptop?

I want to be sure that the system is running corretly with both 6900M GPU adaptors working.

Thank you!

91 Posts

October 2nd, 2011 08:00

I won't get detailed, because, I am only 'aware' of this. However, it is working correctly; take solace in that knowledge. Someone with better knowledge of it, will be able to give you details.

October 2nd, 2011 11:00

Hi,

The Big "1" is all you will ever get since there is only one laptop screen.  You would get more than one number if you had an external monitor plugged in.

Believe it or not, there are only a few places that you can confirm the crossfire configuration is working.  The first sis the checkbox you see marked "Enable CrossfireX").  The second is if you  open up Catalyst Control Center, go to information (at the very bottom), click on the "Hardware Tab" (at the very bottom) and look at the adapters listed--both of which will be in bold type.  If Crossfire is working, you will see "Primary Adapter" in bold up top and then "Linked Adapter" in bold about half way down the page.  If Crossfire is not working, you will see "Primary Adapter" in bold up top and then "Disabled Adapter" in bold about halfway down the page.

But based on what you said about the checkbox, your Crossfire appears to be working fine.

--Hank 

10 Posts

October 2nd, 2011 16:00

It is the same on my m18, but as the others said it is all fine. You can download the heaven dx11 benchmark 2.5 and run it, when you see the result of the test it will tell you if you are running crossfire. www.techpowerup.com/.../mirrors.php

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 04:00

Hi guys just want to say thanks for the answers ....

Really enjoying my new laptop, it really runs nicely - faster than my desktop which was no slouch when I bought it two years ago (Intel i7 860 @ 2.80 and ATI Radeon 5870) so nice to have a laptop with more grunt.

I will be moving around often over the next 36 months so wanted a laptop with the legs to use as a main system that wont become obsolete in that time frame. Is funny though - this 18.4" laptop is so big, thick and heavy it actually reminds of those huge laptops that came out way back in the early 90's :-)

14 Posts

October 4th, 2011 11:00

Yeah as others have said - you have liftoff no worries!

But yes -  reading the crossfire config screen is as clear as mud!

Maybe the ATI control center app works better (makes more sense) on a desktop crossfire system?

No Events found!