Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2016 16:00

M18x R2 processor replacement

Hello, 

My M18x R2 (early 2012) has a broken processor. It is a 2920 xm. I need to find a new one but I don't really know what processor i can put in my laptop.

Does anyone know what model I can buy? 

Thanks in advance

1.2K Posts

September 10th, 2016 17:00

if  it has a 2920 its a M18X R1 ... , how do you know cpu is *broken?

anyway Sockets Supported  FCPGA988  .... so any cpu  that socket really ..

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

All things 18 reside at NBR; their 18 sub-forum is a one-stop-shop to get the most help, upgrades & support for your classic chassis

6 Posts

When I turn the computer on, I get seven bips. I found on an AW forum a list of the bips for this motherboard and 7 bips are for a processor failure.

I made a typo in my previous message, sorry for that, the processor is 3920xm. I just checked on the dell website with the serial of the laptop.

Regards

6 Posts

Thanks for this advice

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

September 10th, 2016 20:00

you can search 'diagnose CPU failure' or similar online; the tried & true method is to remove your cpu & place it into another known-good working system with the same socket to see if it still works -or- place any known-good cpu that fits the socket, see if the system sparks to life. 

3920xm is an Ivy-mobile quad-core socket G2 /  rPGA 988B, where 3940xm appears to be the top offering. Due to the cost of these parts, it is sometimes best to take your lappy into a repair shop & have it tested, where it is possible the shop will have a known-good cpu to place in your system to test it, or possibly remove your cpu & place it in their working system to test if it still works or fails. Again, explore your options at NBR by asking questions, like 'is 3940xm top dog for my 18' & 'how to test the cpu here', or, 'can I get 7beeps even with a good cpu' (see alienware 7beeps on youtube). Here is Alienware 7 beeps from NBR; I'm not a lapdog owner so best of luck

No Events found!