Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2013 03:00

M18xR2 - Boot drive disappears after a few hours

Hello all, got a bit of a problem with a M18x R2 I have.

I have recently changed the HDD setup from a 64GB mSATA drive and 1TB 5400 drive to a 120GB SSD and 1TB 5400.

Everything works very well for about 4-8 hours, then at some point the laptop will freeze for a few seconds and display a message saying "Windows has encounter a problem and needs to restart"

Once the laptop has restart, I only get a black screen with the message "No boot drive found" or something along those lines, changing anything in the system BIOS has no effect.

I ran the PSA and the first SSD come back with a error saying "Drive had timed out"

I though the drive was faulty and returned it to the shop, purchase another (Different Brand) and went through everything again, it all looked great and then guess what, EXACTLY same deal as before

Both SSD drives show up in system BIOS - But NO WHERE else

Here is what I have done during installation and current system setting

Completed a fresh install of windows 8.

All drivers installed and current versions used. All drivers installed without any errors.

Latest NVidia driver used.

NO IRST driver installed.

ACHI selected in BIOS.

UEFI selected in BIOS.

Fastboot is off.

Legacy is off.

Dotnet Framework 3.5 Installed

Command Center v2.8.8 installed

A09 System BIOS

RAID setup screen continues to display during boot process, even though RAID is turned off - Only one drive visible (1TB) in RAID setup screen

All windows updated applied

NO WDDM drivers installed

SYSTEM SPECS:

i7 3920

24GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz RAM

2 x GTX675M

Win 8 Pro 65Bit

Killer WiFi + Bluetooth 380

BluRay player

I should mention that there was one "suss" drivers that installed during update - It was called something like "Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID controller update" - Could that be causing problems.

I should also mention that I have tried two brand new SSD's with the same result, one was a sandisk extreme, the other a Samsung evo 840

Personally I think it may be a corrupt BIOS chip, especially since I am unable to get rid of the RAID setup screen, even a complete power drain will not make it disappear.

Any help would be much appreciated.

No Responses!
No Events found!