Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2015 17:00

MISSING NVIDIA GRAPHICS. AND MY LAPTOP ISN'T EVEN A WEEK OLD!

Hi, for some reason I can't find my NVIDIA Graphics card. I have an Alienware 14 with a intel CORE i5 with a NVIDIA GTX765m Graphics Card running on Windows 8.1. I was trying to over clock it, so I download MSI Afterburner. The MSI Afterburner automatically detected my NVIDIA GTX765m Graphics card. So, if I can remember correctly, I tried to over clock "Core Clock Speed(MHz)". I was just curious if this will improve my performance in games, Ex: Grand Theft Auto Five. By the way, it didn't. Not by much. Anyways, I closed out of the game and I was ready to uninstall the MSI Afterburner. Before I did, I reverted the settings to the way they were before I increased the Core Clock Speed(MHz), (I did so by clicking the revert button on the MSI Afterburner program). Before I installed the MSI Afterburner I created a restore point just in case anything bad happens. So I used my restore point instead of just directly uninstall the MSI Afterburner. After the restore took place my laptop restarted. When my laptop was done restarting this came up: :( your PC ran into a problem (or issue, I can't really remember). And it was a blue screen. So, I thought nothing of it because this message came up before on this laptop and other PC's/laptops I had in the past, so I thought nothing of it. When I returned to my desktop/home screen I went to click on GeForce Experience, and that's when I first found out that something was wrong. When I opened GeForce Experience (which came with my laptop when I bought my laptop)an error came up,"Could not find a driver for this PC". So, I went to right click on my desktop which is where the NVIDIA Control Panel is, but this time, it wasn't there, and it still isn't there. So I went to search for it on my laptop and I did found it, but when I went to click on it, it wouldn't open. So then I went online to download the latest display driver because a new display driver came out today (July 29 2015). When it downloaded and got ready to install (at system check), it said."NVIDIA DRIVER CANNOT CONTINUE. This Graphics Driver could not find Compatible Graphics Hardware". So I download the driver that this laptop came with, same error/message. Then I downloaded one before the one that came with my laptop, same error/message. I went to Device Manager, then Display Adapters. If I remember correctly, there was/still are two display adapters, one for Intel and one for NVIDIA. When I check and as I'm typing this double checked there is only the one display adapter. Which is Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600. What happened to the NVIDIA one? I put in the disk that came with my laptop to see if there is anything helpful that I can use. The was one thing that caught my eye which was a graphics driver. I extracted it, run the install program, then at system check the same error/message came up. Does anyone have an answer/solution for my problem? I can't play games at the frame rate I use to get. Please help.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 30th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

Try doing the FN + F5 command in Windows, a message should come up saying if you want to switch the GPU. Click yes on the message and the system will restart. After you log back in to Windows, verify that the Nvidia card is showing up under Display Adapters in Device Manager. If it is, proceed to install the latest driver from the Nvidia site. We cannot confirm what might have caused this problem since we do not support overclocking configurations on this unit.

3 Posts

July 31st, 2015 10:00

Thanks for your suggestion but it didn't worked. When I press FN and F5, a message comes up your graphics solution is automatically configured for optiomal performance. I called 1 800 ALIENWARE and they did fixed the issue, by Flashing the BIOS, but today during the install of GTA V through steam I got a message on a blue screen (blue screen of death if you will), it said: your pc has run into a error kernel security check failure. And then after that I realized that, that was why my NVIDIA Graphics card went missing. So right now, I guess that I'm going to have to call 1 800 ALIENWARE again.

3 Posts

July 31st, 2015 10:00

And also, I upgraded my Windows 8.1 PC to a Windows 10 PC, so would that have anything to do with my problem?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 14:00

Hello, 

The Windows 10 update may have something to do with it. Try doing a clean installation of the Nvidia driver. Use the latest version from the Nvidia site, click here for the download link.

No Events found!