Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2015 23:00

MONITOR CAN'T DETECT MY ALIENWARE X51 R2!!

Hello guys! Recently a friend of mine gave me his old Alienware x51 R2 but the processor ram and hdd was missing from it cuz he used it to build his gaming pc. So I bought parts for it, I got hyper x fury 2x4gb as my ram sticks, intel i5 4690k as my processor and western digital 3tb hdd as my hard drive, my GPU as of now is GTX 670. I have tested the GPU and the processor on another alienware and it works perfectly fine but when i put it on the unit that my friend gave to me the monitor can't detect the pc. Could it be that the motherboard is broken and is no longer functional? Or is there another issue on the pc?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 14th, 2015 10:00

Hello Xboct, 

Can you confirm how you are connecting the monitor? For example, with an HDMI or DVI cable. If you look at the back of your X51 system, you will see the on-board HDMI port at the upper part of the system and the discrete video card ports at the lower part. Try connecting an HDMI cable in both ports to confirm if the same thing happens. 

2 Posts

August 14th, 2015 11:00

Yes i tried plugging it both on the hdmi on the vid card and on the motherboard's hdmi port

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 17th, 2015 12:00

Hi, 

Thank you for confirming this. It does appear to be a motherboard failure since its not even detecting the monitor on the onboard HDMI port. We recommend replacing the motherboard. 

No Events found!