Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2013 12:00

{MOVED}Alienware M14xR2 Overheats and throttles!

Hi

I have the Alienware m14x R2 for about 2 months and have noticed severe performance drops playing various games such as WoW, BF3 and CS:GO. Upon various troubleshooting methods, including the on suite dell doctor,  I have installed CPUID software to monitor my CPU and GPU temperatures. CPU is going 85 under gaming load and idles around 74, which I have been told is far too high for a i7. This is WITH a 5 fan cooling pad underneath the unit itself. All temps are recording on a solid surface (my old computer desk) in a well ventilated area.

I have tried everything to remedy the fault myself, Updated all drivers and even checked to see if there was a BIOS update. Checked graphics drivers and optimus settings for the performance loss and everything seemed fine. I re.fuse to open the unit it myself, because it will void warranty

I am still under warranty which is why I posted here to give the views and opinions on what steps should I take next?

Hi jamiemufu,

The temperatures you are experiencing on laptop are higher than normal. I would suggest you to clean the air vents of the computer. Below are the steps to clean the air vents:

• Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through
  • Turn off the System
  • Unplug the AC Adapter
  • Remove the Battery
  • Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents

Note: Please use compressed air can. When using compressed air can, use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly.

For more information, you may refer to article Here.

Alternatively, run the diagnostics to check the hardware functionality of the computer.

To run the ‘Dell Diagnostics’

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, press F12 on the Alienware logo
  • Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu
  • Make a note of the error code (if any)

Please reply with the findings. Will take it further.

4 Posts

I forgot to mention I already did the diagnostics for hardware, mutiple times and also cleaned out the fans and air vents, they are completely dust and dirt free!

I had some errors with the optical drive, but thats all good, I know what they are and have fixed, other than that no errors at all!

June 19th, 2013 14:00

Hi Jamiemufu,

As mentioned in this thread, if you have any other problem, send me a private message.

No Events found!