Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2012 22:00

{MOVED}alienware x17 r4 screen issue

i bought an alienware just this month and the screen goes like this randomly. any ideas about whats going on with this thing?? 

7103.cdc072899e510fb371f27718d933c895d0430c66.jpg

3.3K Posts

October 15th, 2012 00:00

Hi rystoz,

Please follow below steps to isolate the issue:

Check the status of the screen in Safemode:

• Start the computer. Tap on the keyboard immediately after the Dell logo screen disappears until you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu on the screen.If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, restart the system and try again.)

Select Safe mode and press .Check if the diaply is fine in Safe mode.

Check the status of the screen in BIOS:

• Restart the computer at the Dell logo during restart, tap the key repeatedly until you see Entering Setup in the top right corner of the screen. Check if the blank white screen comes up in BIOS.

Connect an external monitor to the computer and check if the display comes up on external monitor.

Run diagnostics on the computer (restart the computer by holding the D and power button).

This would run the test on LCD.

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

5 Posts

October 15th, 2012 21:00

did the diagnostic test on LCD. the screen switched between several colors and was shut down afterwards.

went into the BIOS and a control centre appeared, nothing else.

couldnt do the external screen test because it was not available

tried enter with safemode but stuck at the loading and was automatically shutdown after a minute or two.

also there's something unusual on the top when loading safemode.

3730.8~QSOQSKZD3DHRN12~EBTIS.jpg

as you can see there's random color bits displaying.

1 Attachment

October 16th, 2012 08:00

You can try an external monitor also, if the issue happens there it is the video card or video card drivers and if it does not then the LCD might be the problem.

3.3K Posts

October 16th, 2012 08:00

Hi rystoz,

Please help me understand if the display was good during the BIOS and LCD test.

This might be an issue with the operating system. 

Choose last good configuration. Below mentioned steps would help you boot in advanced boot menu:

Boot to the Last Known-Good Configuration

1. Power on the system.
  2. Press when the message For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8 appears.
  3. Choose Last Known-Good Configuration and hit ENTER.

Now try to restart the computer and check if the computer boots and check if teh display  status.

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

5 Posts

October 17th, 2012 20:00

Hi Rajesh

i booted with last known-good config.

the LCD displayed correctly in safemode

the grey white screen displays correctly in bios as well.

During the LCD test the screen displays several colors in a period of 1 or 2 seconds and is shut down afterwards. i dont know if that is good or not as it does not give any feedback

also the screen displays correctly in the normal mode too.

i couldn't do the external monitor test because i don't one..

the screen displays correctly 90% of the time. its just that at some random cases the screen goes like the picture i took. could this be a problem with the internal hardware connection with LCD?

3.3K Posts

October 18th, 2012 06:00

Hi rystoz,

We might need to replace the parts on the computer. If the computer has active warranty I will arrange for a service on the computer.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Awaiting your response!

207 Posts

May 31st, 2013 09:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                                                      

No Events found!