Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2013 20:00

MX17r3 keyboard keys come off and keyboard problems

I have had my laptop for 11 months. The S key first started popping off probably 6 months through then the X key and then the D key and then the space bar started not working without pounding on it most of the time on the left side of the space bar and then the shift key on the left and etc. The way I can kind of get it to work when the space bar won't work it all if move the screen hinges back and forth and that will sometimes help the keyboard work! Very disappointed to pay this much money for a laptop and after less than one key the keyboard is crapping out.

I guess  the only way to fix this is to take it to a repair shop and have the whole keyboard replaced. Anyone else have this problem. First I thought I could live with the keys broken but not being able to use the shift  keys, space bar, and  enter key is not going  to work.

~Debbie

3 Posts

December 27th, 2013 20:00

Correction it will be 2 years in Jan since I have this but the keys started coming off around the 6-8 month mark.

901 Posts

December 28th, 2013 01:00

Hi Debbie, changing the keyboard on a M17xR3 is not hard and there are a lot of guide to help you along the way.

To give you a basic idea whats involved.

Two screws to remove rear cover.

Four (Maybe five) to remove the keyboard surround

Five small screws (And two ribbon cables) to remove the actual keyboard.

Brand new M17xR3 keyboard can be purchased on ebay for around $20-$30

Here's a link to the M17xR3 service manual

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_alienware_laptops/alienware-m17x-r3_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

3 Posts

December 28th, 2013 17:00

I think I can do that.

No Events found!