Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2013 14:00

Malfunctioning screen on new Alienware 18? Anyone seen anything like this before? (pics)

I just received and finished setting up an Alienware 18, and I've been noticing this strange pattern evident in the screen itself. It appears as if there is a microchip+heat pipe or something on the back side that's heating up and causing distortion on the screen? It's definitely not dirt. I'm posting some pictures of it here (taken when itunes visualization was on to make it more visible). Anyone have any ideas what the heck this is? It's the square patch with the fuzziness running down and to the left from it.

EDIT - it comes and goes, depending on how hard I'm pushing the machine. I'll call into support on Monday. Any other 18 owners seeing this? I've got dual 780's.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 9th, 2013 12:00

Hi Thiink,

Sorry about the situation. There are a couple of steps that can be tried which would isolate if it is a hardware or software issue.

If you observe the same issue on the setup screen or during the LCD BIST (Built in self-test), it is not an issue with the Operating System, and it is a hardware issue. For more details please check the article on Resolving Laptop LCD Lines, Fuzzy, Color, or Blurry Issues.

Please try the steps and write back to us, would be glad to assist further. 

No Events found!