Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 8th, 2013 16:00

Maximum Watt/Amp on M I/O & Lighting Board?

Been enjoying my X51 since the release of the first generation. But lately, I've been experiencing unbearable limitations with it on some heavily modded games that I really enjoy. So I started looking around & found a good deal on a used Aurora ALX.

Now since I'll be using 2 high end GTX cards in SLi & with all the heat & airflow issues some are having, I'm planning to replace most of the used/missing fans with new (maybe better) ones. And from my understanding, I think that most of the stock fans are connected to the M I/O & Lighting boards to enable controlling them via CC, but I can't find any details on how much the connectors can handle. Last thing I wanna do is smoke my boards' headers while trying to cool the GPUs.

Would really appreciate any input on how much the Lightning & MOI fan headers can handle.

Thanks in advance.

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

September 8th, 2013 23:00

A quick search of eBAY for "Alienware Aurora fan" (completed listings also) will yield fan label pictures. From there, you can read the various label assortments by part#, and read their amperages, for all the different style fans that were stock. Alienware & Dell always use high-performance high-current draw fans. The 120mm fans are usually either Nidec @ 1.4a or Delta 1.6a. Hard drive fan is a respectable 0.7a. You may remove your case fans and inspect their label for their amperage. Do not doubt that if your 120's are 1.4a - 1.6a, & hdd fans are 0.7a that Alienware has already put in the max allowable amp per fan per channel. Why on Earth you would need more than .7 for the hdd fan when .7 is plenty, very respectable. Jump to .75a max I'd say. 9watts. And the 120's are already beasts. If you need more airflow in there, crank your fans up w/CC manually or set a fancurve. You shouldn't have to replace anything. But if you do, browse eBAY, read fan labels, and assume the fans w/the highest amps which were stock is the most you should consider replacing with. Honestly, there isn't much more a 1.6a can do at full steam than a 1.4a can't do either, both will be like small hair dryers, & you should never have a reason to run a 120mm fan at full steam either ... gracious. A 1.4a at full steam should take care of any problem ... and the 0.7a too. If you decide to buy a non-stock Alienware fan, make it a pwm, and honestly? .7-.75 maxon the hdd, but, 1.4a or less for the 120. If you're worried about a melt down, the 1.6a tips the scale closer than the 1.4a (or less) would. You decide.

***Volts X Amps = Watts --> 12v x 0.7a = 8.4w  --> 12v x 1.4a = 16.8w  etc etc ***

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

September 9th, 2013 06:00

I don't have an Aurora, I assumed your pci was 120mil, but I have experience with Area 51 & Dell XPS, & Dell reuses the same fans & suppliers throughout the product lines. I took 4 minutes on eBAY, saw some Aurora fan assortments, and went: oh yeah, same old same old.

Remove your pci-e fan & check its label. If you do not have a pci-e fan, message an eBAY seller to come up off the specs on what he's selling. Glean the part # from his listing and run it through Bing-Google, you will get hits. I have a 120mm pci fan (1.6a) to my master I/o. I have a rear 92mm 3-blade Delta case fan @ .75a, 84cfm, 4000+rpm. This is the Delta they sing praises about, though its a 3 pin. IMO @ 92 mil w/my specs, at some point even if you buy something similar to it or better, the noise will get to you eventually. The highest draw 92mil fan I've seen Dell put in was in an XPS @ 1.1amp, and, you would not want that thing spinning at 1.1amps, lol.

You will NEVER get a spec sheet on the m I/o from Alienware. Never. This is why you assume they already put their top fan in it, & you get the same or a similar fan & don't cross the barrier by 5-10% more amps. Dell might skimp here and there, but they never skimp on their fans, in fact they overcompensate. I've seen them use 2 & 2.25 amp 120's before. Why would anyone need such a high draw fan? lol 

The power you lose to a high-draw fan will be power less available to your vid cards, so, an Aurora owner might tell you specs here shortly, & in the meantime, google part#'s and assume the highest draw Aurora fan you find could have fit your case too, and roll with it or something w/same specs +/- 5%, 10 max ... cfm is where it's at, which comes by design. For instance, find a .75a w/the highest cfm you can find, then put it in if the price is right. High amps does not make for a better fan ... performance gets counted in cfm's ... and so do results.

7 Posts

September 9th, 2013 01:00

Whoa! Thanks for the info, sir. Truly appreciated.

I've been searching for almost a week for these specs (eBay, user manuals & forums)  but I couldn't get a hold of the full list. Mainly cause the fans were pictured inside their stock casing/shrouds which makes it hard to spot the model and specs.

You didn't mention anything about the 92mm x 38mm PCie fan (please correct me if I got the size wrong). or is it the second 120mm you're referring to?

Again, I truly appreciate your input.

7 Posts

September 9th, 2013 08:00

Thanks again for the enlightenment on the topic.

Just to clarify, I ordered it as a barebone system -still didn't receive it yet- & the seller stated that it 's missing some fans. So I just wanted to be ready when the system comes, as shipping takes ages where I live.

Guess I'll use the stock models for replacing the missing ones & prolly add these babies 6607.6-19-2010 6-06-25 PM.png

Thank you for your time & effort, you've been very helpful.

Have a good one.

No Events found!