Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2016 22:00

Motherboard 80C while playing Overwatch

So I've had a problem lately where whenever I play Overwatch, or possibly any high-load game but I've mostly noticed it with that, my motherboard temperature can reach 80-82C. Usually it remained in mid-high 70s while playing but just recently it's gotten like that.

First of all, is it cause for concern? Can keeping to these temps for extended periods of time damage the board?

And second, how can this be fixed. Should I clean it sometime soon? It's already been kind of cleaned somewhat recently but yeah.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 19th, 2016 00:00

That MB sensor is likely either under CPU socket or on nearby chipset. IIRC, someone else posted recently about a x51 with high temps. I guess that's what happens when you shove a desktop chip inside an xBox sized PC with only fair cooling and circulation.

Personally, I would not worry. It's not like you can do anything to fix it short of drilling holes and adding fans.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 18th, 2016 23:00

You don't say make/model or it's age. Main CPU or video GPU.

But even if main Intel CPU, 82c is ok under max. load. It can do 100c without damage or throttling. GPU can also do 100c. Not ideal but it can. Keep fans working and heat-sinks clean.

19 Posts

December 18th, 2016 23:00

Oh wow, I'm really sorry. I've made posts to here before but somehow I completely forgot.

It's an Alienware X51 R2, meaning I believe it's a mini ITX build. the CPU is an i7-4770. However, I'm focusing on the temperature of the motherboard itself.

Also I've had it for sometime under/around 2 years?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Yeah, that is what the other user was saying. Strange because it's usually the other way around. 

You are in luck ... I actually found it. 

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19997107/20955020

19 Posts

Alright, thank you. And if it means anything to prove your point, my motherboard temp is always somewhere around 10C higher than the CPU.

No Events found!