Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2014 14:00

Motherboard Issue. Looking for replacement part.

My Alienware X51 stopped working a few days ago. When I turn it on I hear the usual startup fan noise and it is, a few seconds later, followed by a single beep. I did some research and found out that the one beep means a problem with my motherboard. I got in touch with Dell tech support and gave them my service number and my Warranty has expired a few months ago, so I on my own to fix it. I asked the tech support person if he could give me the model number for the motherboard and he gave me J1TW5.

It's not an easy board to find. I saw it only in a couple of websites with big price difference.

My question to you guys is if I can get a different model of motherboard which is more current and available. No need to be a better board, just something that will do the same job.

Thank you for any help!

• 

2.7K Posts

November 11th, 2014 15:00

There is no way for us to tell if any other motherboard will work since we haven’t test any other than the original, however you can contact the Dell sales department to see if they can give you a quote for the placement part and to see if its available.  

5 Posts

November 11th, 2014 22:00

I got in touch with Sales department and they told me that my mobo has been discontinued. The new one is 6G6JW ASSY,CRD,PLN,ANW-DT,ANW X51,V2.

They guaranteed me it will work, so I am buying it.

Is there anything I should know in order to replace it? I have built computers before and know what to do, but if there is any configuration like BIOS that needs changing please let me know.

Thank you!

• 

2.7K Posts

November 14th, 2014 16:00

Yes it might work without a problem however if I’m not mistaken the processor socket is different, so you might need to upgrade to a 4th generation one.

5 Posts

November 17th, 2014 09:00

If that is correct about the processor then I will be returning the mother board.

They told me it was all compatible.

• 

2.7K Posts

November 17th, 2014 15:00

It will fit but definitely the processor socket is different.

5 Posts

November 17th, 2014 17:00

They should have told me that before. I definitely don't want to buy a new processor. (and the new board)

At that point I would just get a whole new machine.

I will be returning the mother board then. Pretty frustrating.

5 Posts

November 19th, 2014 16:00

Is there no way to get a fully compatible mother board that won't require any other component upgrades?

No Events found!