Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2016 12:00

Moving operating system from HDD to SSD

Hi,
I just bought an Alienware 15 R3 with only 1 TB HDD. I instantly regretted it once I noticed the long loading time of Windows and applications. So, I am going to buy a Samsung 850 EVO series MZ.
So my question is: How to move the operation system to the new SSD? and will I have drivers problems with the PCIE SSD ?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 14:00

Yes, SSD is much faster. I've noticed not just Windows boot and apps loading, but system just seems snappier. All my systems (even the older ones) have SSD as boot drive now. I will never go back.

Yes, pre-installed SSDs in some Dell/ Alienware might seem a bit pricey but once you order a retail SSD and do all the work, I think you break about even. For me, "time is money". Some users might even have to pay a tech to do work.

I think this thread covers "moving OS".

en.community.dell.com/.../19997686

November 22nd, 2016 20:00

It's easy to move OS to SSD drive, you need to gain the SSD cloning software from the manufacturer's website, or you can use the third party software like AOMEI Backupper to move OS to SSD without losing data.

If you have problems with your hard drive or SSD drive, you should consult the manufacturer.

No Events found!