Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2014 16:00

Multiple Simultaneous M14xR2 Issues

I've had my alienware M14xR2 for about two years now (still under warranty) and have been very happy with it, but lately I have been running into a few issues that are making it very difficult to use the computer. Has anyone run into these issues and had any success with getting around them?

1) My laptop will no longer boot up on battery.  The computer will only boot up if it being powered from a wall outlet.  If the laptop is turned on from battery, it will begin to boot up, but once the operating system starts loading everything just shuts off.  It seems like the battery can't supply enough current at that point for some reason.  The battery works just fine otherwise, if the power cable is removed after boot up, the battery holds a charge and has no issues powering the laptop for a few hours.

2) I am having serious screen issues.  If the laptop screen is physically at certain angles, the entire screen freezes and begins to the colors distort.  It can be fixed by adjusting the screen angle but it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a half hour to get the screen to a position where it will operate normally.  It seems to be a little less sensitive after the laptop has warmed up, but it's difficult to say anything conclusively. 

3) This is minor in comparison to the others, but the laptop seems like it has to work a lot harder even when idle or only surfing the internet (loud fan, lots of heat).  This could just be due to it's age, but it is noticeably different from when I first got the laptop.

I've heard that updating the BIOS can help with similar battery issues, but updating did not fix my issue.  Similarly, I've tried to use Dell System Detect to diagnose any problems, but it did not report any issues.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks for the help!

• 

2.7K Posts

November 3rd, 2014 13:00

Since everything seems to be hardware issues it will be better to send the system to our repair facilities so they can check it out.

If you live within US or Canada send me a PM with your service tag and a brief description of the problem so I can help you out otherwise you can contact the technical support site in your country so they can help you. 

No Events found!