Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2013 11:00

Mx17 R4 Harddrive Connector

Lets start off with saying, installing a new hard drive is simple, in most cases this is true. However for me this does not seem to be the case.

I have spent over £1000 on a nice glowing laptop, that all I want to do is be able to install a second hard drive!! Not hard is it? My laptop was shipped with the secondary hard drive bay, so I have a spare hard drive and the bay, however the only item I need is the sata connector, the 90 degree right angle one, as below

2084.DellHardDrive.png

Can someone point in the right direction (UK site as to where to get this from) as @dellcares on twitter have been nothing but useless, I had a HP Envy laptop with the same issue, dropped them an email and straight away they sent me out a caddy and cable/connector, no problem. So why does Dell make you spend all that money and not include all of the laptops parts!!!!!

Can someone (preferably from Dell) respond and not with no BS comments and just send me a link as to where I can get this part from, or send me the part that SHOULD be sent out with the laptop in the first place.

Thanks

One annoyed customer

2.4K Posts

March 7th, 2013 11:00

All R4's are supposed to come with it. One poster said he didn't get it but found it tucked inside the rubber case of the 2nd drive bay. I would double check to make sure yours is not in there.

If no luck read these threads, maybe they can help you. You can also find them on line for around $8.00. Just do a search.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19475062/20224352.aspx 

http://alienwarearena.com/forums/topic/22171/hardware/interposer-connector/

7 Posts

March 8th, 2013 02:00

Just spoke to Dell technical support, the guy on the phone was useful however his team leader was not and said I have to purchased the whole kit and had to pay an additional £13, all I needed was one part not the whole kit!

Complete joke if you ask me!!

March 11th, 2013 15:00

Send me your information to AWSocialMedia@dell.com and we'll try to escalate issue internally.

7 Posts

March 11th, 2013 16:00

My email I just sent...

Not sure if you are actually going to be able to help me, as I have spoken to @dellcares on Twitter who were next to useless, I had asked them regarding the same issue to be told that I need to purchase this part, which I stated other users on the forum that had purchased an Alienware laptop got there's either with the laptop or requested it via email or calling tech support. They advised me that this is not the case and said I have to purchase it, which I asked for a direct link, so I can purchase the connector, only to be giving a generic Dell shop site, which upon searching for the interposer/hard drive connector found no results. So that was useful.....

I then took to the forums, where one member posted a link to the above, which I am now responding to. In the mean time I rang Technical Support. The person on the phone was sympathetic  however said that there was nothing he could do, he spoke to his team leader who told him that it is down to the area manger to making a decision not to send these parts out for free. I then explained why did I pay over £1000 in full and not receive all the parts of my laptop in full, the Representative said it was due to the fact that on my build I did not request a secondary hard drive, as this is an extra cost. So why do I have the hard drive caddy attached in the space bay ? Long story short, I had to pay £13 for one  part which probably costs 1p to make, although I had to purchase the whole kit, not just the interposer connector. What do I need the whole kit for when I have the caddy in the first place.

Now if you are going to tell me the above is correct, it is because my build on my laptop, was not selected with a secondary hard drive, then why add the caddy? Surely there should be a statement to say when building the laptop 'If you don't select a secondary hard drive, there will be an additional cost, if in the future you want to put one in'?

I am quite disgusted with the service I have received from dell and I have not even had my laptop a month, is this how all new customers are treated when purchasing high end/expensive laptops and come with parts of there laptop missing?

Oh just to add insult to injury a friend purchased an M17x R1...Yup and R1 with no extra hard drive and received the caddy, no interposor, called up and get it all sent for free....So please don't pretend other Alienware users don't talk to each other.

I have wasted alot of my time over such a small part, I am at the point of just saying forget the whole bloody and ignoring any other communication with Dell. I think I should be reimburst my £13 for the hard drive caddy kit as 1 I don't need it all, so you can have it back like I have mentioned many times and for the last time "ALL I NEED IS THE INTERPOSER CONNECTOR" 2 all the stress and aggravation caused is enough to drive me away from Dell for good 3 Less expensive laptops you get all the parts and even if on the odd chance you don't you give them a call and get it sent straight out.

I await your response, unless you are going to tell me all the same as what I have heard don't email me back, I wouldn't expect Dell to bother much in responding to customers anyway.

March 11th, 2013 16:00

I'm truly sorry about the situation. I'll just do my best to help you out. We only cover US and CA but I'm trying to extend my hands all the way to the EMEA support personnel to make this happen.

I really hope everything gets solved soon, I'm escalating your case right now.

March 14th, 2013 01:00

I am in the same situation. I actually ordered a couple of interposers online via eBay. I got them but they were for an earlier model.

Sorry to horn in here on this thread but I am located in Canada and need the same piece. I looked all around inside the hard drive bay and did not find a spare. I also took out the main drive to see if it was stashed in there somehow.

Please let me know how to proceed. Dragging the second hard drive I bought around in an enclosure is getting a little old.

Thanks,

7 Posts

March 14th, 2013 13:00

Well thankfully I have had a phone call from Adam at Dell regarding the above and he stated that the interposer SHOULD be included with the laptop and he apologised and is going to refund me the money. There for M17xR4User I would suggest you email awsocialmedia@dell.com and explain, also I would point them in the direction of this post.

Beggars beleaf how many Dell people don't have a clue what there policy and procedures actually are.

Well finally my issue is resolved, so thank you for that.

March 14th, 2013 14:00

No problem, I'll take a look into it right now.

@M17xR4User, send me your tag and address to awsocialmedia@dell.com and I'll take care of it.

@WesD84, I'm glad that we could finally solve the issue, we are here to help.

Wow! That was spectacular timing. Email has been sent.

Thank you!

March 15th, 2013 22:00

It arrived today! That was fast. It's already installed and working.

Thanks again.

March 18th, 2013 09:00

No problem, we are here to help! :) If you have anything else you need assistance with... let me know and I'll help you out.

1 Message

March 26th, 2013 19:00

Hi,  Porras. Can you approve my friend request, please?

March 29th, 2013 07:00

Sure! :)

No Events found!