Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CF

November 16th, 2014 03:00

My Alienware M17 only working in safe mode

I can only startup my Alieware in safemode.

My machine is almost 5 years started having hardwork errors last year, which ended up with a complete crash and my replacing my two old 500gb harddisks with a new 1TB harddisk, and so everything was working - except one thing: the machine would about once a week crash when playing movies (both on youtube and local movies). The machine would freeze and require a reboot. I was unsure about what was wrong and suspected that my graphics card or maybe my processor beginning to fail and expected that I needed to replace it once I determined with part had the problem.

But yesterday I couldn't even reboot, when it crashed. It would tru to startuo windows but fail two or three times before going black screen. I would also show a blue diagnostic screen for a moment with a message of hardware problem before dissapearing.

I can start the machine up i safemode with no problem and can here see in the device manager that two base system devices and the coprossesor is not working because the drivers are not installed (not sure if this is because of safe mode), but the system can't update the drivers in the 'update driver software' menu.

In my eventviewer I get a lot of error messages like the three below:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Avgdiska
AVGIDSDriver
Avgldx64
discache
spldr
Wanarpv6

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

The HomeGroup Provider service depends on the Function Discovery Provider Host service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Can it be a hardware problem eventhough the machine is working fine in safemode, and is it normal that sound is not working in safe mode (could the problem be sound related).

So what is the problem with my machine?

• 

2.7K Posts

November 18th, 2014 08:00

First we need to determine what the Blue screens are about and on this video you will learn how to gather all the information we need.

As well you can run a PSA diagnostic just to make sure all hardware is in good conditions. 

November 18th, 2014 10:00

a colleague advised my to use msconfig to find the problem and after testing with different devises disabled I was able to find the guilty part: my Nvidia driver, so after diabling this my computer is working.

After using your guide I found the same problem 0x0000124 (video_shadow_driver_fatal_error).

So my machine is now working, but ony with the small geoforce 9400 graphic-card and not my powerful geoforce gtx 260m card, and I suspect this is a hardware so I might need to replace the graphic-card.

Edit: I did the diagnostic test, which to my surprise showed no error (the nvidia driver was disabled, but I wouldn't think it would make a difference).

If it's a hardware problem, and I need to replace the graphic card, what should I choose then?

• 

2.7K Posts

November 19th, 2014 16:00

I would recommend you to uninstall the video card driver and reinstall it again, as well flash the bios to the latest version; if the issue persist and you need to replace the video card I will need to know what revision do you have exactly so I can recommend you a validated card. 

November 30th, 2014 11:00

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your until recently.

I tried uninstalling and reinstall the videocard, which didn't work. I wrote about the Bios flash, but since I'm nearly 100% sure it's a hardware-problem ad the process sounds quite risky, I will go ahead and buy a new graphic card. I saw how to reinstall the graphic card on a few you-tube video's, and it seems like something I can do.

Now I just need to figure out which card to buy: The specs for my Alienware is this:

Alienware M17x,

Bios: A03

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9000 @ 2.00GHz

and I have a 240w power supply.

Let me know if you need to know more to recommand a graphic card.

Since my machine is 5 years old, it will probably not last another 5 years, the most expensive graphic cards might be overkill, but otherwise I'm open for suggestions.

2 Posts

December 1st, 2014 05:00

try to upgrade the BIOS, some times this solve the problem

No Events found!