Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 4th, 2011 09:00

My Alienware keeps shutting down and restarting.

Hey Guys

Any help would be appreciated. My Alienware Area 51 Intel core I7 x980 @ 3.33mhz running Windows 7 64 keeps shutting down and restarting. At first I thought it was power surges so put a Powerware uninterrupted power supply on her, but she is still doing it? Any thoughts on what it may be? It has the lastest bios and microsoft upgrades. Running Mcaffe Suite. It is still under warrenty as It is only 8 months old. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 4th, 2011 11:00

Good idea on getting the UPS. Certainly can't hurt and will help protect it in the future. What size model did you get? How many watts does it say it is pulling right before shut-down?

Try running Dell Diagnostics and MemTest86.com .

Are there any errors being thrown in Event Viewer?

Run BlueScreenView. Turn off Windows setting to automatically reboot on BlueScreen or System Failure.

Do you have all Over-Clocks turned off (including main system and video)?

Does it shut-down at idle (or during light use like surfing the internet) or just during 3D gaming?

Does it shut-down during Windows Experience performance testing or while running Heaven Benchmark and/or 3DMark11.

Have you tried re-seating your RAM, video card(s), and all other PCIe cards?

Are all the fans running at idle and do you hear them speed-up when the machine is stressed (3D gaming etc.).

List your complete specs including what video cards and power supply you have.

27 Posts

May 4th, 2011 21:00

More info would help. PSU size, dual cards or single cards .May be a lack of power issue.

No Events found!