Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2010 04:00

My Hive

Now that Dell have taken over can we older Alienware ALX people be assured that at least "My Hive" will be kept going and up to date?

I notice for instance that my motherboard maker Asus has put out 2 BIOS updates since the latest one showing in my own "My Hive".

It's tempting to go ahead and update the BIOS but then, although we customers are allowed to overclock our machines to death, we aren't allowed to update our own BIOS without negating the warranty.

So it would be nice if those BIOS updates in My Hive were posted in a more timely fashion .   After all, I believe you only have to add the Alienware logo to customize them.

52 Posts

May 3rd, 2010 11:00

Actually ASUSUpdate tool includes a MyLogo feature which allows you to insert the boot logo picture as a .bmp.  The only time I lost my lights was when I formatted and reinstalled the system and then a few registry tweaks later & software installation I had them back again.

I did that because there was no option, despite spending $8000, when I ordered the machine to have a non-RAID setup and I dislike RAID disks as they are so prone to failure and screw-ups which more than outweighs any negligible speed advantage..  So the first thing I did was delete the RAID array.  It would have been so easy for me if they had allowed that option at the very start.  I did ask for it via a special request too.

Although I do have an A/W bios installed right now I'm concerned because the 0707 in My Hive is 2 BIOS updates behind what ASUS are offering.

I guess all I really need to assured is that My Hive will eventually be updated and not discontinued like the A/W Forums because the Dell downloads only carry regular drivers, not BIOS updates for my model..

372 Posts

May 3rd, 2010 11:00

My understanding is this, if you flash your bios, you lose the alienware logo when you boot.  Not sure if the lights go too.  They pretty much insist you call support and let the AW guy walk you through it or control your system and they do it.

372 Posts

May 5th, 2010 06:00

Almost forgot, I understand if you flash the bios without AW being involved.  You invalidate your warrenty.  So becareful.

52 Posts

May 9th, 2010 05:00

Yes I know thanks.

By the way I upped my CPU Multiplier to 30 from 29 and now have 4.0ghz processor speed like yourself.   I get periodic warnings from ASUS PC Probe II that my core temp has gone over the threshold (I set it to warn me at 90°C) but otherwise it's fine.  Usually it's hovering between 65°C and 85°C depending on load and 45°C if idle.

According to Intel the maximum operating temperature is around 69°C so not sure if this is dangerous or what.  Overclock forums seem to think you can run these things at 100°C+ forever with impunity with the right cooling, but I would have thought it shortens chip life.  I have water cooling by the way.

Any comments on that?

2671.Capture.JPG

52 Posts

May 9th, 2010 08:00

To answer my own question.  After a bit of research online I found that it's quite OK to keep the 30X multiplier with a CPU voltage of 1.35 and that results in temperatures around 20°C less throughout.  It was Alienware Support that told me to use the 1.4v setting, so I'm going to leave it at 1.35v for a while and make sure it's stable.  It certainly seems to be and I'm a lot happier now that the temperatures are at a more sane level.

No Events found!