Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2014 09:00

My X51 Keeps Crashing

I've had my computer for nearly a year and occasionally the graphics card seems to overheat for no reason. The fan will kick in very loudly and it will shut itself down. Occasionally when I try to boot it back up it will say a cable is not connected to the graphics card. The problem has become more frequent over the last couple of days. Also whenever I run an autopsy the computer crashes as soon as it gets to checking the graphics card. Any advice? Thank you for the help.

1.8K Posts

April 18th, 2014 13:00

Hi!

Check the troubleshooting steps on this article. Download HWmonitor to see the GPU temperatures and post a reply with the results. Make sure to check the temperatures during stress using a benchmark or game.

Let me know how it goes!

2 Posts

April 19th, 2014 00:00

Hi Naomi, thank you for the help. I attempted to download HWmonitor however the program doesn't seem to be working for me. I doubt it's a heating issue because it happens as soon as I turn the pc on after it was off overnight. It's not always necessarily when I'm playing a game or watching anything. I've made sure it was dust free and it definitely never feels very warm but the problem persists. Also today I've noticed occasional flickering which is a new symptom.

1.8K Posts

April 21st, 2014 10:00

It could still mean GPU or CPU overheating. Run a Heaven Benchmark to check the GPU temperatures and run an ePSA to check the CPU temperatures. If the system crashes during either one of the tests, let me know.

If there's a flickering problem, it could be related to the Video Card or monitor. Try different monitors and cables if possible, make sure you've updated to the latest BIOS and do a clean installation of the video driver as explained here

No Events found!