Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 13th, 2014 12:00

NEW SSD

I have a question. Right now I have the Legion hard drive. The HDD. I want to upgrade this to an SSD I want the SSD to be my primary in the HDD to be my secondary. My question is can I use a factory image on my HDD to install the operating system on my SSD I have the Aurora R4 I'm thinking about the Samsung SSD 840

1.8K Posts

April 14th, 2014 17:00

Hi!

In order to use the factory image on a different HDD, you'll have to create a recovery DVD or USB using AlienRespawn. You can find the instructions on this article

162 Posts

April 14th, 2014 18:00

Well I have the full version of AlienRespond so can I tell it where the factory image is? if that's so, that's fantastic,. I want to upgrade my computer from the HDD to the SSD. So all I would have to do is put my full version of AlienRespond on the SSD drive and just tell it where the factory image, is that correct. That HDD will be my second drive is

162 Posts

Cool thanks guys. I will do that TESLA1856. I'm still having trouble with this computer with the blue screens, some going with your suggestion and installing the SSD drive. I was looking at the Samsung 840 and using my current HDD drive as a secondary. I hope this will solve my problems. The Dell support Center, unfortunately, has been no help. We keep going round and round about the same stuff with no help or no recommendations of any kind. They just keep installing drivers in removing drivers I've been around computers long enough to know when someone is just guessing. In

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Well I have the full version of AlienRespond so can I tell it where the factory image is? if that's so, that's fantastic,. I want to upgrade my computer from the HDD to the SSD. So all I would have to do is put my full version of AlienRespond on the SSD drive and just tell it where the factory image, is that correct. That HDD will be my second drive is

No.

I suggest you run your "full version" of AlienRespawn and follow the directions that Naomi linked to above. However, instead of using burning DVDs, try using a 8-16gb USB flash drive instead.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 14th, 2014 20:00

Cool thanks guys. I will do that TESLA1856. I'm still having trouble with this computer with the blue screens, some going with your suggestion and installing the SSD drive. I was looking at the Samsung 840 and using my current HDD drive as a secondary. I hope this will solve my problems. The Dell support Center, unfortunately, has been no help. We keep going round and round about the same stuff with no help or no recommendations of any kind. They just keep installing drivers in removing drivers I've been around computers long enough to know when someone is just guessing. In

I was wondering about you and your Intel-RST problems. According to the other thread, you already tried a Dell Restore. Using a Recovery USB drive would be the same thing you already tried. Pretty sure Dell Factory load includes Intel-RST (that's why it was found loaded in the first place).

What you need to try is a clean Windows install (with NO Intel-RST ever loaded). I suggest further progress be documented on previous message thread.

162 Posts

April 15th, 2014 12:00

Hey Teslas, thanks for all the information you have been very helpful. I have reviewed the different SSD drives that you recommend and looked further, especially in the evo ones in particular. I especially like the one that's called, SSD 840 EVO 2.5-inch SATA 1TB (Basic) rather than the pro-it only goes as high as 512 I read your procedures on the SSD drives on how to install them, and it sounds pretty basic, just a slight difference from the HDD drives, so I feel more comfortable installing one now. I appreciate the knowledge and of I have further questions. I hope I can ask you I do plan on doing a full clean install, and then picking up the drivers on the Dell website minus the RST

April 16th, 2014 18:00

Raysz,

let us know how you go. I'm about to do a similar thing - install a SSD as the boot drive and have the HDD as back-up/data drive. My thread is below:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19578114.aspx

162 Posts

April 17th, 2014 07:00

Thanks guys. I will definitely let you know I will probably do it sometime middle next month. They want to do a factory installed. I told her that that was already done, and I still have the same problems. They said that they want to initiate it through remote hookup. I did talk to him about the SSD and they said, since the computer was shipped without the SSD. They have to deal with what I have. I told him that I was thinking about doing it myself and they said that would break the warranty, so they advised against it. So they are going to do this today between 2 and 6:00 PM and I will give it to the end of May. After that, I'm doing it myself. If it doesn't work

April 17th, 2014 09:00

A couple of quick thoughts for you, hopefully to help.

1) Before you do anything, absolutely make a COMPLETE backup if you can.  You never know when you'll be glad you did.  That's in addition to making the system recovery disc as our other posters suggest above

2) I've had great experiences with Samsung 830 and 840 series SSDs.  They even come with a Migration Tool that I once used and it worked perfectly to transfer my existing Windows installation from the source drive to the new SSD.  However, it's also notoriously flaky.  There was another occasion when it absolutely did NOT want to work and I had to use the above-posters' methods.

3) If you ever need a bit more in the way of disc space and don't have the deep pockets for full SSDs, I've also had good experiences with Hybrid drives.  These are drives with a small SSD built-in that works in tandem with a high-speed physical HD.  It still looks like one hard drive but its performance is less than SSD, better than physical. 

Right now my Area-51 ALX (built June 2010) is running an 840 Series for the OS, an 830 for paging, and 4xWD Caviar Black in a RAID5 array, and all is well.  My M17x R4 has an AData mSATA SSD for the OS and 2xSeagate Hybrid drives in a RAID 0 array.  It also give me really good performance whether I'm gaming, running multiple VMs, or just working with large files to edit music or video.

Hope that's useful - let us know how it goes!

162 Posts

April 24th, 2014 05:00

Hi Tesla is there a way I can obtain the original drivers for my R4 computer . I'm getting ready to switch over to my SSD drive. But before I do so I like to have the original drivers on hand. One in particular I'm having difficulty finding is the realtek high definition audio. When my computer arrived. I did get a copy of Windows 7, which is good and a rescue disk . could the original drivers be on that rescue disk. As for the realtek high definition audio the Dell website shows a model number, but unfortunately I can't verify the model number I have chosen the SSD 840 EVO 2.5-inch SATA 1TB by Samson

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 24th, 2014 11:00

One in particular I'm having difficulty finding is the realtek high definition audio. When my computer arrived. I did get a copy of Windows 7, which is good and a rescue disk . could the original drivers be on that rescue disk. As for the realtek high definition audio the Dell website shows a model number, but unfortunately I can't verify the model number I have chosen the SSD 840 EVO 2.5-inch SATA 1TB by Samson

For Realtek in Win7-64, latest should be this one:

But the older ones should work if that one doesn't.

162 Posts

May 17th, 2014 09:00

Hi Tesla sorry it took so long, but I'm now the proud owner of an SSD I did everything you suggested, including not installing the rapid storage device and I have to say this computer now runs better than it ever did. I was also able to successfully install the original hard drive HDD as a secondary. All my problems, including adding software have miraculously disappeared. I have to add, though, I think you are a great asset to the Dell community and I would be more than happy to forward this over to any representative that you want me to. I have gone through many tech support people who have never been able to figure out this problem, but you

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 18th, 2014 19:00

Good to hear your problem with intermittent BSoD on your Aurora R4 was resolved by clean-installing Windows 7 without Intel-RST sata drivers.

The extra speed from SSD doesn't hurt either. 

162 Posts

May 18th, 2014 21:00

Me too. I'm glad to see that it finally taking care of. I did everything you suggested and I got a copy of all the drivers that are supposed to be on my computer from Dell. Like I said, this computer has never run better. I actually get dizzy when I start application. It comes up so fast LOL
No Events found!