Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 8th, 2017 15:00

NO HDMI OUTPUT

I have a Alienware 13 R2. No matter what I try no hdmi output comes out of the laptop.

The laptop comes with an Intel HD Graphics onboard and a Nvidia GPU. It seems the video output always comes out of the Intel HD Graphics - the Nivia is only used for graphics processing per application. 

There is a mini display port which works fine with TV and monitor. But the HDMI port besides it shows no signal.

Install/reinstali drives done extensively. Changed HDMI cables to no avail. Changed HDMI ports to no success. Changed monitors fand TVs too. Same hing: no HDMI signal.

When the HDMI cable is connected to the HDMI slot on the backos the laptop, the TV/monitor screen goes black like it knows a cable went in. But no signal is detected.

Any suggestions?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 10th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

Update the Bios to the latest here (Windows 10):

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

If the issue persists after this, send me a private message with the service tag.

January 10th, 2017 11:00

Just to make things clear: you want me to update the BIOS of my alienware 13 R2 with Windows 8.1 with this new BIOS for windows 10... is this correct?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 13th, 2017 10:00

On this case it's the same.

January 13th, 2017 15:00

It gives me an error msg: RUNNING ON A UNSUPPORTED SYSTEM

My alienware BIOS is:

Current system: Alienware 13 683

Revision: A4

Vendor: Dell Inc.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 17th, 2017 17:00

Send me a private message with the service tag.

901 Posts

January 17th, 2017 20:00

Try another HDMI cable, some of them are not "deep" enough and the connections don't touch correctly.

Have you opened NVidia control panel and tried enabling HDMI from there?

Or right clicking on object you want to run and select "run with NVidia gpu" or something to that effect

January 25th, 2017 12:00

Ok folks we got it working.

My full connection was

(1) display port out of the alienware 13 to HDMI IN of my 2nd monitor and

(2) HDMI OUT of the alienware 13 to HDMI IN of the smart TV.

I unplugged the HDMI IN from my 2nd monitor and plugged in the DVI IN of the 2nd monitor input options. So the display port out of the Alienware 13 was connected to the DVI IN of my 2nd monitor.

I connected the HDMI In of the Samsung smart TV directly to HDMI OUT  of the alienware 13.

Suddenly, the third monitor showed up in the Nvida Control Panel. You go figure...

Now, I have 3 monitors showing up:  the alienware screen, the 2nd monitor screen, and the smart TV screen.

I just duplicated the 2nd monitor screen and the smart TV screen TV and all is working.

Heck if I know why...

January 25th, 2017 12:00

Thanks for everything

No Events found!