Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2013 05:00

Need some advice for gaming in 2013? should i stick with dell?

I currently have an alienware aurora R3 with the bellow specs. 

i7 2600 3.4

AMD Radeon HD 6800 x2

8 gig ram 

Now I'v had this machine for quite some time now and could do with replacing however I'm not int he same situate as I was before. (financially) 

I loved my alienware aurora but the graphics cards are getting a little dated now and I can't see it doing the 2013 games much justice. 

should I, 

1: upgrade the graphhics cards in my current model.  (bearing in mine the processor is also a generation behind.)

What i Don't know is what graphics card upgrade my system can handle. I have dual hd 6800S now but id replace them with a single card. but what cards can my model take up to?  

2. buy the alienware x51 (i5 version) I'm aware this is technically a downgrade however i would appreciate a smaller chassis and It houses the newer processor (yes technically the i7 is better than the i5 that come with this model but this rig will be soley a gaming system and all the evidence suggests that you do not receive much a performance increase by going I7,

the only reason I'm considering these options is because Alienware have a £200 trade but I'm not entirely sure what that is either as it says up to... what does that mean? if i sent ,my Alienware aurora in does that guarantee 200 off my current purchase?   

3. or go for a pc at over clockers or somewhere similar. 

I know the third is a little inflammatory but overclockers have a system priced similarly to the x51 (same portability) with he same specs but also has the gtx 760 and blue ray, if I was to apply the gtx 760 to the current i5 model of the alirnware x51 it would rack the price up by nearly 300 quid!! and put it on the same level as the i7 version. obviously I can't afford that. so please let me know what my options are as at the moment over clockers are seemingly the best option. 

my budget is like 650-800 quid. please let me know what you think. 

December 10th, 2013 09:00

I can't directly answer your question, but I did a search about a year ago for a gaming laptop.  Until that time I had always viewed Alienware as overpriced, but what I found was that if you really got down to comparing systems with the same components, Alienware was very competitive on price.

You may need to look closely at the other systems to see where they are cutting corners to reduce the prices and consider whether its worth it to you.

7 Posts

December 10th, 2013 10:00

Is there anyone who could tell me What kind of graphics card I could put in my current Alienware aurora R3, for example could I put in the GTX 760? 

7 Posts

December 10th, 2013 10:00

I suppose my question did suggest that I view Alienware as expensive but actually thats certainly not the case, i just ant afford another dual graphics aurora lol, though I wish I could.

I can afford (i5 version of the x51 but the graphics card (gtx 645) is incredibly outdated, and if i was buying the top end one I may as well buy the aurora.

what the competition does do is offer the same as Alienware at the same price but with with up to date gpu's and cheap entry blue ray options.

alas the x51 and aurora are the only desktops they do. I'm considering upgrading my current PC with a better graphics card, but I'm not sure whether the 2013 games will be optimised for the new haswel cpu's, is it worth me upgrading my current system or buying new?  

December 11th, 2013 01:00

I have the same rig as you and when I bought it I replaced the graphics card gtx 650 ti with a msi 670

This will play anything at full specs on my 23" proview monitor

Don't bother with a trade in,if you look on ebay these are still selling for £500 or more

Cheers Martyn

7 Posts

December 11th, 2013 02:00

when did you buy your's? 

as I think mine is quite an age and has the ivy bridge as opposed to haswell chipsets. 

not sure if that makes a difference

December 11th, 2013 03:00

About a year ago.I have the same psu which is overclocked to 4.1 using dell settings.At the moment the psu is as good as anything for games.I also put in two 128 ssds in raid0 which speeds it up by about 10x at loading programmes.AT this moment in time to change my computer  to an aurora4 or similar would only change things by  less than 10%
My rig is running at 1920 by 1080 reolution and should work quite well at 2500.However I wont be using two monitors or 27” screens etc so I wont be upgrading for a few years yet.
The most expensive upgrade I have made was the graphic card about £320 at the time,but they are a bit cheaper now
Cheers Martyn

7 Posts

December 11th, 2013 04:00

Hiya, i'm guessing you mean you over clocked your CPU to 4.1.  Iv never tried over clocking but i'm considering it. 

as for the graphics card you meantion is'nt widely availiable anymore, the 660 or the 680 I suppose are the equivelents and I cant see much difference. 

Thank you for your input its given me food for thought. I think im probably going to either instal a 760 or a 680. :0 thank you :)

No Events found!