Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2016 08:00

New Alienware 13" Laptop Crashing my WIFI Modem

Hello everyone,

I am having a WIFI issue with tmy new 2016 Alienware13" laptop purchased and was hoping for some help. Whenever I boot up my laptop, it will connect to my WIFI connection, but very shortly after the modem itself seems to crash and reboots. I have never had any issues with my network previously (I have used two game consoles, two laptops, two cell phones, an Ipad and a wireless printer on it) and yet, when I turn off all other devices connected to WIFI aside from my Alienware, the problem persists. 

some additional information:

-BIOS has been updated by Alienware customer Service

-Killer Networking drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled/updated by customer service twice (This seems to fix the problem temporarily, but after about 30min-1 hour, the problem occurs again)

-Contacted Killer Networking: They advised that they are aware of the issue but do not have a specific fix for the problem as of yet (which is crazy since it is installed across all Alienware devices at this point - which aren't so cheap). They were not able to fix the issue and stopped replying to my emails. 

- I have received a new modem from Rogers and have had a technician test my network. This determined that it is not an issue on the side of the ISP (no other devices cause this to occur)

-I have tried the laptop on a friend's LAN home network and the same issue occurred (also has Rogers as the ISP).

- I have tried the following troubleshooting steps given to me by an Alienware customer service supervisor (without success):

Device Manager >Network Cards>Killer 1535 Card>Advanced>Change 802.11 Channel to 20MHZ>Disable wireless WMM

then:

In router settings: assigned to 2.4GHZ (This step actually had the wifi functioning without drop out for about three to four hours, but the next time the laptop was started up, the issue persisted).  

The issue does not occur when the laptop is connected via Ethernet cable, or when I am connected to my school's WAN. It is unfortunate because I love this laptop and have many programs set up for both work and school, but I am in the process of returning it. There is no reason that I should pay $1700.00 for a laptop that can't connect to the internet. 

I appreciate your help,

-Patrick

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 10th, 2016 14:00

Hi, 

We released a new version for the Killer Wi-Fi driver which is supposed to repair connectivity issues. Follow the steps below to properly install it. 

1. Download the Killer driver from the Dell site and extract the Driver into a folder in the Desktop.
  2. Uninstall the LAN E2204 driver from the Programs and Features list.
  3. Uninstall the Qualcomm driver from the Programs and Features list.
  4. Uninstall the Killer 1535 driver from the Programs and Features list.
  5. Restart the computer.
  6. Open Device Manager and manually install the drivers from the Desktop folder created before.

Let us know how it goes. 

No Events found!