Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2014 18:00

New Alienware 17 HDD to SSD exchange

Newest Alienware 17 owner, and pumped. But I have to wait for the build! On to my query. I ordered an Alienware 17 with win 8.1 pro, 32 ram,  i7 4900MQ, and 256GB mSATA Boot + 1TB 5400RPM  SATA.

I have already purchased a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD (Is the EVO what I need?). I want to replace the 5400 HDD with the Samsung SSD.  My questions 1) Since the 256 mSATA  is the "boot", I want to keep the mSATA  as the boot drive. Can I replace the HDD with the SSD BEFORE I even turn the laptop on for the first time? Is there anything stored on the HDD at all (from the factory)? Is the OS and all other factory installed software on the mSATA?

2)Would replacing the HDD before initial start up be wise? and 3) would doing any of this void my original warranty? 

If you can't tell, I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I do believe I can change the drive physically, but what are the steps if I want to keep the mSATA as the boot? Detailed info would be best, but I am completely open to all opinions. I want to take advantage of this groups know how. Thanks in advance. Go alienware!

1.8K Posts

April 1st, 2014 18:00

Hi!

1) Yes, you can replace it before starting up the computer. All the factory software will be installed in the mSATA SSD so that the 1TB HDD can be used for storage. Therefore, when you receive the computer the HDD will be empty.

2) It would be better to replace it at the beginning since the HDD will be empty. Once you start saving files to it, it will get harder to replace later.

3) The replacement itself won't void your warranty, but since third party hardware parts are not covered within the warranty, if you experience an issue that could be related to the new SSD we will ask you to go back to the original configuration for troubleshooting purposes. 

April 1st, 2014 20:00

Alienware-Naomi, Home run! Thank you so much for the ultra quick reply. It's really nice to have such a quick response straight from Dell. I figured it would take quite a while for an answer. You put my mind at ease. Now, if I can just have enough patience to wait for the laptop. Bless you. Sincerely, Dell Forever

1.8K Posts

April 2nd, 2014 09:00

No problem, I'm glad I could help. Let me know if you need anything else!

No Events found!