Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2017 16:00

New Alienware Aurora R5 Strange buzzing noise problem.

Hey guys first time posting here. ill keep it simple, i got this beast for about 6 weeks now and i noticed today started making a weird buzzing sound but ONLY when i turn on a game, it can be any game i tried overwatch, Fable anniversary etc same thing happens in every game but if i alt+Tab to desktop it instantly goes away it has me pretty worried is this normal? i recorded a video as an example the buzzing sound starts at the very beginning and when you hear it stop thats when i alt-tab to desktop,the sound is coming from the front and top vents..you can hear me moving the phone from the top vent to the front as well. so strange someone please help it has me really stressed out .. 

January 31st, 2017 12:00

Wow, that's weird.

Are active game windows the ONLY place you hear this, or the only thing you do on the computer to stress it's internals? (pick any stress test you'd like, I usually just run handbrake/similar to encode a video?)

I usually find the diagnostic utility useless, but have you tried that in bios (startup, really)?

Do you have anything plugged into the front USB ports, or have the ODD?

This sounds more electronic/coil whine from my laptop's speakers, but you can take manual override of the fans in the alienware controller IIRC, have you run those up in speed to see if you can replicate it?

7 Posts

January 31st, 2017 13:00

Hey CometusCrimsonion, yes the sound only comes on when i turn on a game nowhere else..i tried to replicate it using different softwares etc and nothing its only when the games are on which is so strange, i havent tried anything in bios yet, the only thing i have plugged into the front usb ports is my mouse and keyboard however problem still persists if i take them out, an im not much of a tech guy really unfortunately i wouldn't really know how to take manual override of the fans :/

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Hey Tesla1856, I did that and the noise is still there, i can hear it from the front and top fans

Ok, then it's not EMF/EMI interference though the audio channels.

First, either you or a technician will have to find noisy part.

Likely suspects are any fan (they are all over, including on video card and inside power supply), liquid cooler pump, and even as CC says ... coil-whine from the solid-state coil components on the video-card or motherboard itself.

7 Posts

its crazy because this pc is only like 6 weeks now or so how can there be so much wrong with such a new pc? .. do you think i should contact a tech soon?

7 Posts

Hey Tesla1856, I did that and the noise is still there, i can hear it from the front and top fans

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Unplug all the speakers and headsets and repeat your test. Can you still hear it?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 31st, 2017 14:00

its crazy because this pc is only like 6 weeks now or so how can there be so much wrong with such a new pc? .. do you think i should contact a tech soon?

Computers are complex and delicate machines. Maybe it got damaged in shipping? At this point we don't really know what is wrong with it (might just be a $10 fan).

Yes, if you want it fixed (ie you don't want to just live with it) ... you will have to contact phone support so you can get it fixed under your warranty.

7 Posts

Thanks tesla :)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

www.dell.com/.../dynamic

Alienware

1-800-254-3692

7am - 11pm CST

7 Posts

indeed they are.. everything seemed fine for those 6 weeks.. i spent 3k on this computer this is unnerving .. would you know where i can find a phone number for tech support?

February 1st, 2017 21:00

it could be noise coming from the graphics card. can you run a program called fraps or any other program that will tell what the fps of the games are running at when they start up?

No Events found!