Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 13th, 2012 08:00

New Aurora R-3 Owner

I bought a refurb R3 during the recent outlet sales event.  Got delivered a few days ago.  I don't know how it will hold up, but I am impressed with the quality.  Dell could have sold this to me as a new unit and I would have had no idea it was a refurb.  I never realized how much better the materials and build quality seem to be on an Alienware vs. mainstream Dell and other desktop pc's.  I had to order the separate Netgear usb wireless adapter, and that just came yesterday.  Got it hooked up to internet and my wireless printer with no problems.  I am waiting on DVI, HDMI and toslink cables to complete my hook-up to my home theater.  So far so good.  I did have a few questions:

1.  Alienware Command Center - My refurb didn't seem to come with many manuals, so I'm not clear on all the aspects of the Command Center.  I set up the led lights and power management (I think).  Is there anything I need to do with the Thermal Control Settings?  Right now Im just leaving it on automatic.

2.  The unit came with the Mcafee virus program.  I guess its the 60 day trial.  The Dell rep Chris recommeds the Microsoft free MSE program for this.  Is this all I will need?

3.  I don't understand the front slide down panel.  When its up the dvd and blu-ray drive bays cant open.  When its down the white led light stays on.  Is there any way to override the led light when the panel is down?

4.  Does the back port panel have a light?  I thought I read that it does but I cant find a switch.

5.  Any recommendations on any other maintenance software I should use to keep it clean and running optimally?

Thanks for any input. I'm sure I'll have other questions/issues as I progress.

180 Posts

Congrats on the R3. i also bought an R3 about 8 months ago and it rocks.

1- I also did not get any manuals. If you game alot, set the PCI cage fan on a curve and set the HDD fan at one setting. My PCI fan kicks up at temps over 25C to about 3000 RPM and the HDD fan is set at 35%. Check this webiste for more details alienwareusersupport.weebly.com/index.html

2- I have always used Norton so can't comment on MSE. McAfee is terrible in my own opinon.

3- To my knowledge, don't know how to turn on the light for the front bay door. I usually have mine closed.

4- My rear light is there is one has never been on so can't help you there.

5-If you have a Nvidia card, I use the system monitor from them to watch CPU and Video temps as well as how much RAM is being used. Other than that, I don't run aot of programs on this.

Hope that helps.

180 Posts

Sorry, too early see below for more logical comments...........

*To my knowledge, don't know how to turn off the light for the front bay door. I usually have mine closed.

*My rear light, if there is one has never been on so can't help you there.

66 Posts

June 13th, 2012 10:00

Does this line item in my order mean that my power supply is the 875w?

1 KC1WV Module,Chassis,Standard,MBK,875,AUR3

180 Posts

June 13th, 2012 11:00

Yes. The 875 is the PSU

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 13th, 2012 12:00

Welcome to the club. The Aurora is a "real desktop" much more flexible than an x51.

1. I like Manual - Curve instead. Like Auto but with more control.

2. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall (both free). Put machine behind a NAT/SPI firewall/router. Turn on WiFi Security. Use a real ethernet wire when possible for much better speed and steady link.

3. I guess it does stay on when closed (never noticed).

4. The switch is hidden on back outside panel. See downloadable Owners or Service Manuals.

5. Keep fans and radiators clean. Use good UPS battery like a 1300-1500 APC.

No Events found!