Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2017 09:00

New Aurora R5 - 6700 / 1080 Shuts down randomly during WoW-- Faulty GPU? =(

Ok so I first purchased a new Aurora R5 back in November of 2016 and since then maybe 5 times now the computer has just shut down during use requiring a power restart via holding the power button. Now there is no error messages before shut down. The only reason I know it's coming is because I play in 1440p and as I'm playing my colors will suddenly turn dull / dark and 5-10 seconds later the system crashes. Leaving a annoying buzzing sounds in my headphones as well. Now this system should not be having problems like this specially since the game I play is World Of Warcraft, which is far less demanding then a lot of games this system could handle. And since it's a lot of money and new I want to see what the problem could be.. I will be running the support assist when I get home today.  Even under heavy load in WoW temps on the gpu and cpu never get high gpu is like 60 at very very heavy raiding. All drivers are up to date as well, this problem has happened since I unboxed all the way till now, so I doubt it is a driver problem. If you have any other questions let me know.

I really like the system but this problem is a kick in the head when you're in a progression raid and it just dies mid pull =(

The PSU is 460w option which I hope isn't the problem but reading online could be a faulty GPU?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 14:00

0a) 16GB DDR4 at 2133MHz

0b) 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1

1) I am currently plugged right to the wall... No battery back up.

2) 1080 founders edition drivers are up to date and it's happened before and after keeping them updated

3) using SSD for start up and WoW everything else is installed on the HDD

4) Only things plugged in are my keyboard, mouse, and headphones (new astro's, problem had happened before I got them and again after) but they also aren't USB based just the mouse and keyboard.

5) "Outside of Windows, run ePSA Diagnostics and UEFI-Diags" Now I should start by saying I'm decent with comps but none of what you said in that sentence is stuff I've dealt with so I will have to google that stuff when I get home.

6) power supply test is same as 5, I'll google how to when I get home

7) Looking at event viewer there are many critical failures showing about "power supply" or something along those lines.

Tried running Dell's support testing but just keeps giving me a red error code when it looks for supportassist.

Dell tech is suppose to be calling tonight.

0a) If only one DIMM is installed, system is only running in Single-Channel Memory Mode (half the bandwidth of Dual-Channel Mode)

0b) Hope you are using a real wire ... it's much faster with better Ping.

1) I would get one. More stable power, protects your investment, and eliminates "AC power" as as possible problem. Ever seen lightening blow a hole in a circuit board and take-out other boards as well? ... I have many times.

2) Nice card. Yes, use the latest WHQL Release version (no betas) from NVidia.com. Some say skip "NVidia Experience" app. Hold off on OverClocking for now.

3) Perfect.

4) Good

5) Press F12 on Boot. If they are still installing ePSA you should be able to get to it from there. UEFI-Diagnostics are a little different and most newer UEFI-capable systems should have them (they run from ROM). You need to determine if hardware outside of Windows is basically good. It's not all-telling, but it's a first step.

6) Yes, 460w PowerSupply is small. Especially with a GTX-1080. Alienware says it works (has enough 12v at high Amps/watts) but I wonder if they ran a GTX-1080 up to 100% utilization. If it does work, PS will be running near 100% while gaming which is unstable and sometimes even dangerous. They offer that for low price ceiling, built with i5 processors and small video cards. I personally think i7 and larger video cards should throw a config error. I tell everyone to spend the extra $100 for 850w PS, liquid cooler, and I think even better motherboard chipset heat-sinks. It's quite a good deal and really the only way this machine should be built. There are many existing threads around these issues and concerns.

7) Right. Need to analyze those and any BSOD crash logs.

You are welcome to use Dell's way of testing. I already told you what I would do. ePSA (if available), UEFI-Diags. If it passes, move to OCCT. inside Windows. If you want, you can start a Windows Defender Full-Scan at the same time to get the SSD/HDD going at the same time. This will stress-test whole machine and remove WoW from equation.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

1. Just looking at Nividias specs for the 1080 they recommend 500w psu or higher.

2. While looking through forums more the 460w psu are suppose to be 80+ bronzed on the Dell's but people are finding ones that are not 80+ bronzed and seem to have the problem I do and in turn can't keep up with both load on the CPU and gpu.

1. Right

2. Of course Gold is better, but I don't think it matters in this context. Here is something I wrote on another website recently. User was trying to upgrade a tiny machine to a nice video card:

You really don't want to be running a SMPS anywhere near 100% utilization. Not only are failures violent (and tend to take out motherboard and other parts with it) ... voltages (at required amps/watts) become more unstable the higher up you go.

Personally, I figure out what I need power-wise and then double it. Worst case the SMPS runs at 50-60% MAX (while full-out gaming) which is perfect.

How about an analogy ... How long do you think your vehicle's engine would last if you ran it at the red-line every where you went?

8 Posts

February 1st, 2017 13:00

deleted

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Is Aurora-R5 connected to battery-side of good UPS (like APC)?

What video-card is installed?
- What set or version of video drivers are you running?

Are you running a spinning HDD or a fast SSD?
- Have you checked it for errors and it's SMART Health?

Do you have any strange USB devices attached or have you installed any strange or old device drivers or background programs?

Outside of Windows, run ePSA Diagnostics and UEFI-Diags ... Short and Extended Tests and document results.

Inside Windows-10, run OCCT (Power Supply Test). Watch operation and Temps.

Check Event Viewer for entry at time of crash. There are also software tools like BlueScreenViewer and WhoCrashed available online.

See link in my Sig below for more tips.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Can't say for sure until you answer questions I asked, and post results of tests ...

... but with only 5 crashes in all those hours of WoW Raiding doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me. I would think "software problem" is more likely.

8 Posts

February 1st, 2017 18:00

deleted

8 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 04:00

I've tried answering back about 5 times now, nothing ever gets posted or approved I guess...

8 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 07:00

Now that my posts are going through

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, up to 4.0GHz)

Windows 10 Home-HE (64bit) English

US Power Cord

Regulatory Label for 460W

460W PSU Air Cooled Chassis

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition with 8GB GDDR5X

16GB DDR4 at 2133MHz

256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

8x DVD+/-RW 9.5mm ODD

802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1

Those are the specs of my System, I boot and Run WoW on my SSD and all other games on the HDD.

1) I am currently plugged right to the wall... No battery back up.

2) 1080 founders edition drivers are up to date and it's happened before and after keeping them updated

3) using SSD for start up and WoW everything else is installed on the HDD

4) Only things plugged in are my keyboard, mouse, and headphones (new astro's, problem had happened before I got them and again after) but they also aren't USB based just the mouse and keyboard.

5) "Outside of Windows, run ePSA Diagnostics and UEFI-Diags" Now I should start by saying I'm decent with comps but none of what you said in that sentence is stuff I've dealt with so I will have to google that stuff when I get home.

6) power supply test is same as 5, I'll google how to when I get home

7) Looking at event viewer there are many critical failures showing about "power supply" or something along those lines.

Tried running Dell's support testing but just keeps giving me a red error code when it looks for supportassist.

Dell tech is suppose to be calling tonight.

8 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 07:00

Just looking at Nividias specs for the 1080 they recommend 500w psu or higher. While looking through forums more the 460w psu are suppose to be 80+ bronzed on the Dell's but people are finding ones that are not 80+ bronzed and seem to have the problem I do and in turn can't keep up with both load on the CPU and gpu. The tests you listed I've never done before. Support is calling today. Kinda upset at the possibility that the 460 isn't enough for the machine and just giving up during tough spots... 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 12:00

I've tried answering back about 5 times now, nothing ever gets posted or approved I guess...

That was weird. Maybe since you are new your posts were temporarily held in moderation queue?

Anyway, looks like some good posts and info. I'll try to reply after lunch.

8 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 12:00

Thanks! Much appreciated you looking into this for me, I didn't get the test results you asked for yet but at leas got you some of your bullet point questions (ignore the posts from yesterday, I'll delete the ones that just showed up from yesterday so it's less confusing) The longer most recent post has some updated bullets.  

I will also update you on whatever comes of the tech support tonight.

Thanks again Tesla

8 Posts

Awesome, thank you sooo much. With your detailed answers I should be much better prepared. Unfortunately for me hindsight is 20/20 and should have just ponied up for the 850 and liquid cooling. Hopefully with talking to the tech tonight and being under warranty we're able to figure it out. I'll update you tomorrow so you know the end result.

No Events found!