This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 10th, 2012 18:00

New Aurora owner.....with a problem

Got my new Aurora today.  Love it!

However, the drive system is SCSI and my old drives withg all of the data I need to transfer are SATA.

Any advice on getting this to work?

406 Posts

April 10th, 2012 21:00

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 10th, 2012 21:00

I'm confused ... Your new Aurora R-4 came with SCSI drives? Are you sure? They should have been SATA.

If they are different, maybe it's your old drives that are either SCSI or more likely ... IDE.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 11th, 2012 14:00

ATA ST31000524AS SCSI Disk Device

Disk_Model: ATA ST31000524AS SCSI Disk Device

Disk_Size: 1000 GB

Optical Drives / Other Storage

PLDS DVD+-RW DH-24ABS SCSI CdRom Device

HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CH20N SCSI CdRom Device

And you're correct.  My old drives are IDE.  One Maxtor Diamond Max 250Gb  and one Maxtor Diamondback 200Gb.

I need the data of of them desperately and have not come up with a way to do so.

Thanks.

41 Posts

April 11th, 2012 15:00

Mine are SCSI too.  Same R4, same configuration.  And with these six cores churning, that slow SCSI is really getting in the way!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 11th, 2012 15:00

Looked up the disk drive online:  Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

According to Newegg this is an SATA drive.  Now I'm really confused.

Fron Newegg:  Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

32 Posts

April 11th, 2012 17:00

Your hard drives aren't SCSI, they're SATA. You can put your old SATA drives in your Aurora, no problem.

If you really want to know why they're showing up as SCSI in W7 I'd suggest you do a Google search and find lots of information about it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 11th, 2012 19:00

You might want to open the machine and install one before you get too worried.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 11th, 2012 19:00

No, I mean my old drives are IDE.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 11th, 2012 20:00

So you don't have an old computer or old IDE external enclosure?

I bought one of these a few years back. Comes in handy for testing drives and data recovery.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152

Lots of companies sell similar ones.

41 Posts

April 12th, 2012 16:00

I did just that, Rosewill.  Works like a charm!

280 Posts

April 20th, 2012 08:00

@ Tesla

On Apr 11 you suggested to "rstear" to purchase the Rosewill RCW-608 (have since ordered the 618 -same price but supporting Win7)

A little off topic.  Can you recommend a tool for reading via USB the SCSI drives I have in my wifes Dell Precision 620 which just gave out totally this morning - not even a beep? Buying her a new PC but need to get off her data. There seems to be such cables available but can't find any company who still has those.

So much for my "internal" data back-ups on different drives. - immediately started to also backup my data partition from my AW to my external drive. LOL.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 20th, 2012 12:00

@ Tesla

A little off topic.  Can you recommend a tool for reading via USB the SCSI drives I have in my wifes Dell Precision 620 which just gave out totally this morning - not even a beep? Buying her a new PC but need to get off her data. There seems to be such cables available but can't find any company who still has those.

So much for my "internal" data back-ups on different drives. - immediately started to also backup my data partition from my AW to my external drive. LOL.

Not really . Maybe one of these ... but check closely because there are many types of SCSI over the years.

Start a thread about the 620 or maybe get it serviced. Check power supply and switch.

You can backup internal or external. Data drives can always be removed from dead machine (to use with your 618 interface). Can also be moved to external enclosure. Should work as long as machine doesn't get stolen, burnt, or flooded. Check into online internet cloud backup.

280 Posts

April 20th, 2012 19:00

Thanks Tesla

From all my checking on the Internet, it looks to me there certainly were such devices made, but it also looks like no company is selling those anymore, probably as SCSI has fallen out of favour with individuals (speed freaks) as SATA now is more than good enough.  Large companies who might still use SCSI certainly have other ways.  

The good news is I have just an hour ago managed to fix the 620.  First thought it was the power supply the reason I gave up as replacing that would have been a nightmare if I even could find one tht would fit and not worth the bother for that "old" machine., But then I checked whether the motherboard had it's "Standby LED" on after connecting the power. It did. Yet not a peep or any action anywhere.  So I started to re-seat everything. All cards, memory. - no joy. Then took out the two big processors and re-seating them the system started again. Didn't think as I should have started with them in the first place. But still can't understand that at all. Yes, when removing those 4 big thumbscrews that holds the processor cover, those very big/long processors are a little wobbly but with the screwed on cover over them they can't move. How can they get "unseated"?.  It's over half a year ago that I had opened the case and opened that cover to better get at the floppy drive which had exhibited seek problems, something was stuck in it - never did get it fixed.  But no starting or other problems by the PC until now, over 1/2 year later..And I always lay that PC flat when working in the inside. Obviously must have done something wrong. Maybe moving the PC slightly when cleaning the room gave it the final jolt.

Have to check what a "618 interface" is. - You always make me learn more relating to my Dell - Great, I like that!  Actually have a "cloud" storage space with "Norton 360", but haven't used it as I am a little hesitant to store sensitive private data with someone else.  Have already copied the data partitions from both machines to my external 2TB USB drive connected to my router in addition to the internal backup to another physical drive and will automate that.  Still hear my wife's "words" from this morning. LOL.  Will buy her a new machine anyway - maybe give her mine, and get myself a new one.

Thanks again for your input.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 20th, 2012 22:00

The good news is I have just an hour ago managed to fix the 620.

Then took out the two big processors and re-seating them the system started again.

Have to check what a "618 interface" is. -

Actually have a "cloud" storage space with "Norton 360", but haven't used it as I am a little hesitant to store sensitive private data with someone else.

Have already copied the data partitions from both machines to my external 2TB USB drive connected to my router in addition to the internal backup to another physical drive and will automate that.  

Nice ... good work. Reseating is just re-mating the metal-on-metal connectors ... sockets, connectors, whatever. Lots of pins on those processors, and they all need to be making perfect contact. It could have also been a bad connection somewhere else, and when you flexed the board, it got better.

Rosewill 618 that you bought.

Cloud storage is fine as long as the password is good. Not sure about Norton, but some services encrypt the data. Not like you are saving government secrets.

I would stick a flash drive in the Precision, and re-direct all new "data files" there. If it dies again, just pull out the flash drive and toss the machine.

No Events found!