Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 27th, 2012 07:00

No POST after attempted RAM upgrade Aurora R4

Hello, I recently got my first Alienware system, an Aurora R4. Since then I have done a few small upgrades from the system I received. I added 2 100GB SSD's in raid 0 and moved my OS partition to them. I then added a ASUS Xonar DX PCIe 7.1 sound card. Yesterday I purchased a 16GB DDR3 memory upgrade kit. G.Skill quad channel kit running at 2133Mhz. When I installed the new ram, at first it would just boot to the raid set-up screen and stay there. I tried a couple of reboots and no luck. I removed the RAM and re-installed and tried to get into thebios to check if the RAM was being recognized correctly. I got in and found that I saw the 16GB but was registering the speed at 1866 not 2133. I then went into the memory setting decided to try setting the timings manually and the speed. After that the reboot would just keep cycling with no POST. I figured I must have the trimmings off then. I then proceeded Tory and reset the bios. I found the clear CMOS jumper and followed the steps as listed in the manual. Now I cannot get the systemtoPOST even with my original RAM. I plan to call tech support tonight but I thought I would check here first. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Jigger

34 Posts

May 10th, 2012 01:00

My Aurora R4 is brand new, two months old, and I´ve never seen the post screen :S All I see when booting is, sometimes the alienhead with -Aurora R4- written on it, and then directly the windows logo, sometimes not even the alienhead is shown, directly to Starting Windows.

I thought it was normal, is there a way to enable/disable it?

10 Posts

May 10th, 2012 07:00

Suffrxs the alien head is the post screen. Most mono's now a days don't show the actual post info just a logo.

Tesla1856, I did a prime95 test and the system shutdown in like 3 seconds. So I disconnected the MIO board connector from the CPU fan connector on the mobo and then connected the radiator fan to the CPU fan connector on the mobo. Fan starts running faster right away and brings my idle temp down to the 20's-30's. Before it was in the 40's idling. Ran prime95 this time and was stable with turbo kicking it upto 3.8GHz. Temps got up the 50's at best.

The only thing is it quiet a bit louder now. Thinking of changing the fan out. It sucks the thermal controls don't work for this, but not sure why.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 10th, 2012 14:00

Tesla1856, I did a prime95 test and the system shutdown in like 3 seconds. So I disconnected the MIO board connector from the CPU fan connector on the mobo and then connected the radiator fan to the CPU fan connector on the mobo. Fan starts running faster right away and brings my idle temp down to the 20's-30's. Before it was in the 40's idling. Ran prime95 this time and was stable with turbo kicking it upto 3.8GHz. Temps got up the 50's at best.

Since you are now running a MSI motherboard (non-Dell) you can get support from more generic forums or MSI forum. Using the MIO-Board on a non-Dell MB is not anything I would know anything about.

That being said ... check out CoreTemp.

No Events found!