Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2012 11:00

No USB available after reboot after uninstalling "bad" USB driver via Device Manager therefore no keyboard or mouse to login

After the reboot I can not get past the bios boot phase. Once the system goes to the normal login page I have no HDI devices since they are all USB oriented. Given the devices work during the bios boot, or also during a boot disk recovery attempt, the keyboard and mouse are apparently unrecognized. I have tried moving the devices to every USB port with no change.

I assume this is a software problem with the stored device configurations. There also must be a "place" the system goes for device drivers during the second phase of boot to configure the USB ports for use by a user. I arrive at this conclusion because the ports work during the bios boot and then don't once past that point. So either a ROM/CMOS read is read or a boot partition configuration is read from disk to continue to the login step so that the USBs are corrupted or missing drivers and quit working.

Online supprt had me remove the battery from the CMOS ROM on the motherbard so the configuration is purged keeping that from effecting the reboot. That did  get me to a point where I could jump into a bios controlled boot with more options but nothing that let me get past the problem of the "dead" keyboard/mouse.

I also have used external ROM reboot via the network card and have a boot disk and a operating system disk that I can get to a diagnostic "repair" boot step that presumably allows a restore of "critical" drivers but once again the reboot goes to the login page without fixing the USB issues.

So I have managed to "brick" my Aurora system and need HELP !!!!!

If you have any ideas I am open to trying them! Please submit some ideas for me to try .......

P.S. -- Dell support believes it may take a new motherboard to fix this problem, but I am skeptical of this being a H/W problem since the ports work then don't at reboot login !!!!!

2.4K Posts

October 18th, 2012 17:00

After the reboot I can not get past the bios boot phase. Once the system goes to the normal login page I have no HDI devices since they are all USB oriented. Given the devices work during the bios boot, or also during a boot disk recovery attempt, the keyboard and mouse are apparently unrecognized. I have tried moving the devices to every USB port with no change.

I assume this is a software problem with the stored device configurations. There also must be a "place" the system goes for device drivers during the second phase of boot to configure the USB ports for use by a user. I arrive at this conclusion because the ports work during the bios boot and then don't once past that point. So either a ROM/CMOS read is read or a boot partition configuration is read from disk to continue to the login step so that the USBs are corrupted or missing drivers and quit working.

Online supprt had me remove the battery from the CMOS ROM on the motherbard so the configuration is purged keeping that from effecting the reboot. That did  get me to a point where I could jump into a bios controlled boot with more options but nothing that let me get past the problem of the "dead" keyboard/mouse.

I also have used external ROM reboot via the network card and have a boot disk and a operating system disk that I can get to a diagnostic "repair" boot step that presumably allows a restore of "critical" drivers but once again the reboot goes to the login page without fixing the USB issues.

So I have managed to "brick" my Aurora system and need HELP !!!!!

If you have any ideas I am open to trying them! Please submit some ideas for me to try .......

P.S. -- Dell support believes it may take a new motherboard to fix this problem, but I am skeptical of this being a H/W problem since the ports work then don't at reboot login !!!!!

Hello ricshannon

On my Area 51 I would go into the BIOS and to the " Wait for F1 Error "  setting and change it to " No Errors ". This will make the BIOS boot with no keyboard or mouse. Your Aurora should be the same. All motherboards have this option but the name of it will very from make to make.

You could also use the mouse/keyboard PS/2 connection and the DVI port on the GPU for the time being to get you into Windows. If all else fails a Windows reinstalll will fix it but you should be able to find the BIOS setting to turn it off.

If you get into Windows and it does not install your USB devices then go to Device Manager and Scan for Hardware Changes to force it to. Of course you need a mouse or keyboard to do this...soo lol. Pull it out and use another USB port, that too will force it to reinstall.

GL,
Morblore

207 Posts

May 31st, 2013 09:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.              

No Events found!