Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

May 4th, 2017 08:00

No,keyboard

Had a close lightning strike. not a direct hit and computer is on filtered power. It boots up but will not recognize keyboard or mouse. Have tried different keyboards and mice and all ports. Nothing have discharge system several times. Cant log in to bios or windows without keyboard. Any ideas? Power supply? or Motherboard?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 4th, 2017 08:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can assist you further.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 4th, 2017 09:00

What make, model, and Windows version?

It's an Area 51  and it is on a dedicated power supply with APC I don't believe power surged through th electric line as they are all underground and the computer has good protection but this is in a Metal building and the strike was VERY close so I think there was a huge amount of Static. The computer boots up and goes to the window screen (10) or did until I removed the MB battery now it waits at the bios screen as I have no keyboard to continue.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Had a close lightning strike. not a direct hit and computer is on filtered power.

That's why I always tell users to use a real UPS (like APC). It either would have saved it, or you would file a "lightning protection guarantee" with them.

Alternatively, those little "power strip like" surge suppressors don't really do anything. They don't even "self sacrifice" most of the time like they are suppose to.

Only posting to remind you to make better arrangements before you get your new computer.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 4th, 2017 11:00

Orion1wolf wrote:

1. It's an Area 51

2. and it is on a dedicated power supply with APC

3. I don't believe power surged through th electric line as they are all underground and the computer has good protection

4. The computer boots up and goes to the window screen (10) or did until I removed the MB battery now it waits at the bios screen as I have no keyboard to continue.

1. Old R1 or new R2 ?

2. I would likely file a claim with them.

3. In my opinion ... irrelevant .

4. Connect a different known good simple USB keyboard. Try to access BIOS and also ePSA. If after trying various resets, if you can't get BIOS or ePSA to respond then I would say motherboard is confused or fried. Try all USB ports (especially those in back).

If motherboard is just confused, all you can really attempt is a CMOS reset and/or BIOS re-flash/back-flash.

https://community.dell.com/thread/8267-alienware-desktop-general-hardware-troubleshooting

No Events found!