This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2014 01:00

No longer neccessary.

No longer neccessary.

Please remove the thread.

1.8K Posts

April 14th, 2014 15:00

Hi

Since the computer was ordered with Windows 8, if you want to go back to Windows 7 you need to buy a new Microsoft license. For McAfee, I recommend you uninstall the program and if you decide you want to use it later you can just download it directly from the McAfee website or My Dell Downloads. Just make sure you check the order to know until how long the license is valid.

Hope this information helps!

8 Posts

April 15th, 2014 00:00

No longer neccessary.

1.8K Posts

April 15th, 2014 13:00

For older games a applications, you should be able to run them on Compatibility Mode for older versions of Windows. Check here for more instructions.

If you uninstall Windows 8, you'll have to find the Windows 7 versions of some of the Alienware applications. You can download them from the Support website here.

8 Posts

April 18th, 2014 04:00

No longer neccessary.

1.8K Posts

April 18th, 2014 11:00

If it works on Windows 7, it means it's not a hardware issue. Did you try to use the compatibility mode on those games?

1.2K Posts

April 18th, 2014 12:00

i run windows 8 on my gaming M18X R2  with dual 7970's  trust me windows 8 isnt the problem if its freezing its either hard drive latency issue or wireless connection, or possibly its not using the discrete card, and using the onboard by default ,  if you havent installed windows 7 you dont know if 8 is the problem, just that they worked on windows 7 presumably on a different computer .

i run skyrim i run crysis , i tried Dayz and ran fine on windows 8 amongst 258 other games i own on Steam some as old as windows XP itself

Have you verified its running on the Discrete card?

If runnning on wireless have you tried wired connection?

Does it do it just for online games, have you tried local  with no internet*

8 Posts

April 19th, 2014 06:00

No longer neccessary.

83 Posts

April 19th, 2014 07:00

NVidia uses optimus technology. which means on non demanding video like windows itself or surfing the net it will run on the onboard video(intel 4600) but when you open a game its suppost to automatically go to the NVidia(discrete) (770M in your case) for graphics power. Now have you set power settings to high performance? Have you changed any settings in NVidia control panel so it uses the NVidia card only. Also if on battery it will default to the onboard due to power restrictions, if your on wired I assume your plugged in but just worth mentioning. Not sure why the intel card would disappear... but sounds like software issue.. The m18X (3rd gen intel cpu ) is no longer made its the previous version prior to the M18 (4th gen intel cpu )

8 Posts

April 25th, 2014 23:00

No longer neccessary.

No Events found!