Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

December 8th, 2015 11:00

No signal on screen with Alienware x51

So this all started when I took my hard drive out of my Alienware X51 and put it into a sabrent  hard drive dock and plug it into the same desktop to see if I could boot off of it.  So I turned on the computer and it shut down to select the different boot priority and it turned back on and tried to boot off of it but it didn't it said there was an error and said it could not find a boot device and then kept restarting and doing the same thing so then I just turned it off and turned it back on and then it then the screen said it had no signal.  I took the hard drive out of the hard drive dock and put it back in the computer and it still did the same thing I used another hard drive out of my laptop that have done before and it worked but this time it didn't.  I will tell you exactly what the monitor does when it's not plugged into the computer it waits for five minutes till it automatically shuts off but when I plug it back into the computer it says there is no signal and it goes into Powersave mode when I turn on the computer the monitors still does not show anything. I have tried so many things so I don't know what else to do.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 9th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

Try connecting your monitor to both the video card ports and the onboard HDMI port on the top (around the USB ports), check if you get a display on either one of these ports.

December 9th, 2015 12:00

Yes I tried that and it didn't work also I changed my video card from a GTX 555 to an Evga GTX 660ti and switched back to the 555 and that didn't work

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 10th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for confirming this. Since you are not getting video from neither one of the ports, this issue could be a motherboard failure. If your system is in warranty, send me your service tag in a PM for hardware assistance.

December 11th, 2015 19:00

Ok I sent it

December 23rd, 2015 19:00

Ok i got the motherboard and installed and the screen is coming on but it's not booting up here is a video I made m.youtube.com/watch

December 23rd, 2015 20:00

Also I used that hard drive dock to take my drive to work and update my steam games on it with my laptop since I don't have unlimited internet at home so I wonder if that did anything to the drive

No Events found!