Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2013 07:00

Nvidia GTX 680 in an Aurora ALX

Can someone help me ?

I've an Aurora ALX  with a Nvidia GTX 480 and I want to change to a GTX 680.  Is any cables or accessories necessary for that ? No compatibilty problem ? Enough space in the tower ?

Thank you

2 Posts

Thank you for your answer.

I think i'm going to take the 670 or the 680.

2.4K Posts

Can someone help me ?

I've an Aurora ALX  with a Nvidia GTX 480 and I want to change to a GTX 580.  Is any cables or accessories necessary for that ? No compatibilty problem ? Enough space in the tower ?

Thank you

The GTX 580 will install with nothing extra to do but a driver install. You will love it too. Less heat and quieter then then GTX 480 plus the added performance gain.

If you are buying it new then why not get a new GTX 670 or 680 instead? A GTX 670 is faster then a GTX 580. It uses less power, has less heat and has features you can't get on the 5xx series.

Nvidia GTX 670 vs GTX 580
[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I46_oOA_QZg]

2.4K Posts

February 11th, 2013 08:00

Thank you for your answer.

I think i'm going to take the 670 or the 680.

Great choice. I promise you will love it too. I had the GTX 480's and going from that to the GTX 680 was like night and day. No more heat or fan noise and the performance jump was huge.

One thing I would suggest though is buying a GTX 670 with a reference cooler that exhausts the heat out of the rear of the case. The ones with custom coolers will dump the heat right back into the case making for higher temps for all your components. The Aurora is a tight little case and doesn't have an exhaust fan inside of it to deal with that extra heat.

Get one that looks something like this: 

0842.gtx670-2b.jpg

Not like this:
_8666.gigabyte670-5b.jpg'

36 Posts

February 13th, 2013 13:00

Splurge and go for the 690; I am LOVING mine!! GW2, BF3, etc. max settings in 3D Vision Surround (3 monitors) runs as smooth as can be

2.4K Posts

February 13th, 2013 18:00

Splurge

You don't run a 4th monitor? I have a 4th up top and I keep all the ACC thermals on that one along with the win8 weather app on the left side and sometimes a Netflix movie or music on the main screen.

36 Posts

February 14th, 2013 18:00

Nah...no 4th monitor; messes up the surround config and 3D...although I'm not ruling it out altogether; my monitor stand is made for 4.... :-)

Biggest thing I need with my rig....lots of cooling power!

96 Posts

February 14th, 2013 22:00

Not familiar with the ALX but have a look at the power connecter running off the card there should be a 8 pin or a 6 pin or both ... your system is pretty much suited for the GTX 680 but  buying a card to suite the power connecter my need some looking into...... also look for a reference design as morblore pointed out and a factory overclock version. That way all you'll need to do is raise the power limiter to give it that extra uumff.

I would not recommend buying a GTX 690 not with a 850 watt PSU not to say it won't run but that's just me.

Nvidia Kepler Card are voltage locked at 1200 MHz (so the core don't realistically pass that point)  you can push it but in my experience not really worth the strain on the card...

As I said earlier just add to the the power limiter and leave the clocks that's if you buy a factory over clocked card.

Also check the Clocks different OC cards come with different clocks.

Hope this Helps

No Events found!