Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2014 04:00

Onboard Sound Problem

Hi,

M18x R2, 680m SLI, 16GB mem, i7 3920XM running Win 8.1.

Since I've had my machine I've been using Creative Xfi 5.1 Surround Pro USB soundcard.  Due to  moving house I have had to pack away my headphones and the USB soundcard with a view to using the onboard audion.  However, It looks like I have deleted the drivers for the Creative recon3Di onboard card when I updated to Win 8.1.  I have downloaded the audio drivers for Win 8.1 from the Alienware support pages but everytime I attempt an install I receive the following:

"Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system"

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Mark

1.8K Posts

May 19th, 2014 14:00

Hi!

First, make sure you have the latest BIOS A12. Then go into the Device Manager, uninstall the audio drivers, then download and install this driver

If issue persists after that, send me a private message with your Service Tag, contact information and link to this thread. 

31 Posts

May 20th, 2014 01:00

Hi Naomi,

I updated BIOS to A12 (from A03) and this resolved the issue and I have the onboard sound working properly again.....thank you.  However, I now have a major performance issue with my machine.  For example:

Before update to BIOS A12

BF4 settings on Ultra, AA deferred off, lighting HBAO, Nvidia 337.50 Beta drivers 90 - 120 FPS, BIOS A03

After BIOS update to A12

BF4 setting on medium, AA deffered off, lighting to SAO, Nvidia 337.50 beta drivers 30 - 40 FPS, BIOS A12

My machine overall is no longer as snappy.  I am assuming that there needs to be adjustments made in the BIOS?  If this is correct can you tell me what?  If this is not the issue do you know what could be?

Regard, Mark

1.8K Posts

May 20th, 2014 14:00

There's no settings to change in the BIOS that will correct this, but there might a driver or firmware update that will fix it. I recommend you try the troubleshooting steps from this article for FPS drops and slow performance.

No Events found!