Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2016 17:00

PLEASE help with beeping black screen :(

I have been fighting my m17x laptop for a couple of months. First the battery started not wanting to fully charge and shortly thereafter I was having issues with it not wanting to boot up and getting an incessant beeping with a black screen.  Sometimes, i could get it to boot up, but more and more it would not until eventually I could not get it to boot up at all.  Meanwhile the battery actually died so I bought another one and got on YouTube to see how to replace it because I didn't have a clue.  I replaced it and now it charges again, but still no boot up.  I researched this extensively and found that some have found removing the battery and the CMOS battery and holding the power button down for a full minute has solved this issue.  I opened the thing up again, but the CMOS does not appear accessible to me so I can't even try it.  I really need my computer back :(  

I am no techie or gamer.  I use my computer for business, but don't have a clue where to go from here.  Are you sure it must be the motherboard and not needing what I am told is a "bios reset"?  I know I found someone online that was able to get the beeping to go away and the computer to boot up.  I hate to assume the worst.   Where and how to I fix this thing and dare I ask what it will cost if it is the motherboard?  Please help I am LOST.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 7th, 2016 13:00

For our users to assist, it would be helpful to know which revision of the M17x. There were four. Or look at your Dell invoice and list the hardware. We can decipher the revision from the hardware listed. For a business, you should look into getting a dedicated backup second system, perhaps something from the Latitude business laptop line.

July 12th, 2016 00:00

Is there another way to determine which version.  I wouldn't know where to find the receipt. I use it for business,  but I am self - employed and doesn't make much else to buy another computer just in case.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 12th, 2016 07:00

Is there a service tag number listed on the chassis?

No Events found!