Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2016 10:00

PSU issues with new GPU for Area-51 ALX (7CGZKM1)

About two years ago, I received a Area-51 from 2010 from a rather rich fellow I did a junk hauling job for that he was throwing away.  After pulling one of the SLI-configured blown GeForce GTX 480's and a blown hard drive, I got it to work and with a full 12GB Corsair Vengeance RAM upgrade it performs admirably.  Then my lucky stars happened to receive a GeForce GTX 1080, and it outperforms the current XBox One...but I'm afraid the stock PSU is of no account.

Is there any replacement PSU's I can use, or any third-party PSU's I can substitute that will be compatible with this desktop's proprietary connectors?

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

December 5th, 2016 17:00

Hi, I don't do public back & forths to troubleshoot 51's anymore in this forum, but I did stumble on your post this evening & your mention of the use of an aftermarket PSU compels me to answer, since I'm able to tender the most complete answers available on this topic, based on my past history with these machines. I ran your srvc tag, you're supposed to have the 1200watt PSU, (maybe you still do, maybe you no longer do), but if that's so then you should have 4 video cables; if you have x1 1080 & you have the 1200w model / x4 video cables, then I suggest you deploy the white & yellow cables which emenate from out of the PSU chassis (not the external blue & yellow that are part of the case harness). That assumes your 1080 has an 8pin & 6pin ...

If you have the 1080 Founders with x1 8pin, then I suggest you buy an EVGA y-split cable (~$6) and combine the white + yellow chassis cables, as seen in this article:

Everything related to the 1200watt models has been discussed at length there. There are two 1200w models: J297R & VHM5V ... where J297R may benefit from Y-Split cables, while VHM5V will not need them at all due to its more robust 46amp Grfx rail (unplug your PSU, pull it out, discover its part# to know which one you have there, I'm betting you have J297R)

Your upgrade path is from J297R to VHM5V ...if you have VHM5V, your ticket to an aftermarket PSU is what brings me into this discussion at all, since I make the necessary / mandatory proprietary cables that help one do that PSU swap, so in as few words as possible, if you'd like to try an aftermarket PSU, send me a friend reqwest

Just today, the mailman picked up this harness swap kit I made over the weekend, for a forum member here with a new EVGA 1200 Platinum P2 (his original 1000w failed to power dual-1080s)

Kit (3).JPG

My seller page is here ... Swap Guide is here in the event you wish to do your own hand-made AlienFx MIO daughterboard proprietary cable project

A 1080 is a low-power card; I'd read over the 7990 article & try the y-split cable + Powerboost, if no good then buy VHM5V for a simple drop-in, or, what brought me here to your post: contact me for a hand-made kit ~$45 & a discussion in private. I posted here to steer you toward my service, in other words, dropping tips along the way

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 5th, 2016 23:00

Depending on what Dell/Alienware OEM Power-Supply you have installed, a single NVidia-1080 should work fine. You should probably remove PS and take a picture of large sticker on top for your records anyway.

There were are several Dell/Alienware OEM Power-Supplies available for Area51-R1. If you find that yours is too small, the easiest option would be to order one of those and use the existing wiring harness.

To convert to After-Market type ... I think this is Cass-Ole's best thread, but you can search for others.

en.community.dell.com/.../19540327

No Events found!