Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2012 14:00

Pc freez when playing games !!

Hi,

When i am playing a game  my screen will automatic minimized  and then back big then my bars from the game are black or some pictures are gone .

and then most of time the whole computer crash i cant do anything anymore i need to press my monitor to shut down the wrong way.

few weeks ago in formated my computer and since he do such things and now i dont know it anymore ):

i got a allienware Computer i used the disk to instal my video card and installed all 

18 Posts

September 29th, 2012 14:00

moving this to Alienware forum for more help

2.4K Posts

September 29th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

When i am playing a game  my screen will automatic minimized  and then back big then my bars from the game are black or some pictures are gone .

and then most of time the whole computer crash i cant do anything anymore i need to press my monitor to shut down the wrong way.

few weeks ago in formated my computer and since he do such things and now i dont know it anymore ):

i got a allienware Computer i used the disk to instal my video card and installed all 

I'm gonna take a guess here that the drivers are really old since you used the disk. Go to Nvidia or AMD and try downloading the latest driver for your card. You should also go to the Dell download site and get new drivers for everything else.

If you tell me what kind of Alienware you have and the type of GPU in it and I can point you in the right direction.

" Every game ever invented by mankind, is a way of making things hard for the fun of it! "
John Cardi

1 Message

September 30th, 2012 03:00

buy coler for laptop

23 Posts

September 30th, 2012 03:00

hello,

i have a GeForce GTS 240  card and alienware aurora  windows 7 64 bit

but if i go to the dell site drivers and downloads they got my server tag and if i scroll down there are some stuf i can download for my pc but do i need to download it in some order ?

many thanks :)

2.4K Posts

September 30th, 2012 05:00

hello,

i have a GeForce GTS 240  card and alienware aurora  windows 7 64 bit

but if i go to the dell site drivers and downloads they got my server tag and if i scroll down there are some stuf i can download for my pc but do i need to download it in some order ?

many thanks :)

Hello Nickvb89

When you do a fresh Windows OS install you always want to install the chipset driver first as soon as it boots to the desktop. Then after that the order doesn't really matter. I like to do my Wifi/Lan driver next and then my video but it really doesn't matter except for specific cases.

It's a little to late for the chipset driver but you should still go download and install it now: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/alienware-aurora?driverId=66K52&osCode=W764&fileId=2898628414

After the chipset go here and download the driver for your GTS 240: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.23-whql-driver.html

These are the two that really matters right now. What BIOS version do you have? The latest one on the Dell site is version A11. I would suggest installing that one too but ONLY if the video driver does not fix your gaming issues. If you do install it then PLEASE refer to Dell Technical Support for help installing the Bios. If you do not do it right it can brick your PC.

Try the chipset and Nvidia driver and then post back if it helped. If it doesn't help then there are other things you can do. For the rest of your drivers just replace the ones you installed from the Alienware disk with ones from the Dell download site. Make sure you look for ones marked urgent that correspond to components you have in your system.

If you do not take my advice and contact Dell support to upgrade the BIOS then please follow these steps before doing it yourself. Just remember that if you brick it doing it on your own then you are responsible for it should it fail and damage your motherboard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Disconnect all peripheral devices from the computer except for the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Those USB devices should be plugged into the USB ports on the REAR of the Aurora
* Restart the system and press F2 to go into the Bios System Setup
* Record your current settings onto paper. Example - RAID or ACHI, current overclock, etc. Everything on every screen. Below are the defaults. Your setting may be different. WRITE your settings down!
Advanced Standard CMOS Features
SATA Port1 = Hard Disk Drive
SATA Port2 = Hard Disk Drive
SATA Port3 = Hard Disk Drive
SATA Port4 = Hard Disk Drive
SATA Port5 = CD/DVD
SATA Port6 = CD/DVD

Advanced Advanced BIOS Features
Bootup Num-Lock = On
OptionRom Display Screen = Display

Advanced CPU Configuration
Hyper-Threading Technology = Enabled
XD Bit Capability = Enabled
Intel Speedstep Technology = Enabled
Active Processor Cores = All

Advanced Integrated Devices
USB Controller = Enabled
HD Audio = Enabled (Disabled if you added a PCIe x1 sound card)
Onboard LAN Controller = Enabled
Launch PXE 0pROM = Enabled
SATA Mode = AHCI Mode

Advanced Power Management Setup
Suspend Mode = Enabled
AC Recovery = Last State
Auto Power On = Disabled

Advanced Frequency/Voltage Control
Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Internal PLL Overvoltage = Auto
DMI Base Clock = 100
CPU Gear Ratio = 1.00
Adjust CPU Ratio = Auto
DRAM Frequency = Auto
Extreme memory Profile (XMP) = Profile 1
DRAM Timing Mode = Auto
Overvoltage Configuration = Load Level 1 OC or Load Level 2 OC
* Exit the Bios System Setup and allow the Aurora to boot into Windows

* Disable any 3rd party overclock utilities you might have loaded. In the Alienware Command Center, set your Command Center profile to High Performance. Change the Windows 7 Control Panel -Power Options -PCI Express Link State Power Management to Off or Disabled http://bit.ly/TX27kg
* Disable ALL antivirus software
* Make sure you are not going to lose power (e.g. Do not do this during a electrical storm)
* Go to the Dell Downloads and download the correct BIOS for your system.
* Save the file to your windows desktop
* Run the file from your windows desktop and follow the prompts. The Bios update should restart the system when done
* When it restarts, press F2 to enter the Bios System Setup
* Press F9 to restore the Bios System Setup defaults
* Now, go into each section and compare what you see to what you wrote down. Make any changes to match what you wrote down
* Press F10 to Save your changes and exit the Bios

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,
Morblore

23 Posts

September 30th, 2012 08:00

Hey ,

I downloaded the latest driver for my videocard for my geforce and still the game freez

i also downloaded the  chipset driver. but when i was updating my driver geforce the screen went abit crazy somtimes i minimized and then back big strange stuf . i try few more things from you guys if it dont work i might need to bring him to a computer shop because i want to play my game :)

23 Posts

September 30th, 2012 08:00

but is it possible that my computer stil running on the old geforce driver since i downloaded the latest or will it auto delete the old for the new

23 Posts

September 30th, 2012 09:00

yeh he do it on all games and it is not to high before i formated my computer few months back i played on ultra so ... i got a good computer it can handle that ...

18 Posts

it should.

Does the computer do this on all games? What game are you trying to play. It may be that the settings are too high

2.4K Posts

i play world of warcraft and he even do it on counterstrike when i set all on lowest

Hello again Nickvb89

You need to do a full uninstall and then reinstall the new driver. When you install a newer Nvidia driver it will install over the old one but it leaves things behind from the old installation. Most of the time it doesn't cause trouble but when you do have issues it's best to do a fresh install.

Go here and download CCleaner. http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER 

Next go here and download the Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime for your operating system and then install it:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

After you do that go into your Device Manager and then Display Adapters. Right click your video card and click uninstall. Make sure you check the box to uninstall the drivers. Once it is done you will want to run CCleaner. Click the Registry tab on the left side. Click the Scan For Issues button down below. When it's done click the button on the bottom right Fix Selected Issues. When the pop up asks you if you want to make a back up click Yes to make the backup of your settings.

Once CCleaner is done you will want to install the new Nvidia driver. Reboot when it's done and then try some games.

Good luck and happy gaming,

Morblore

23 Posts

i play world of warcraft and he even do it on counterstrike when i set all on lowest

23 Posts

September 30th, 2012 10:00

hm u know where i can find that device manager ?   clickd the links and all got instaled and stuff just the drivers i need to find :)

2.4K Posts

September 30th, 2012 12:00

Go to: Start/Control Panel/Device Manager

23 Posts

September 30th, 2012 13:00

well i deleted the old geforce and installed the new one  so we will see playd the game since now its good but we wil see later if it stays that way :)

2.4K Posts

September 30th, 2012 14:00

well i deleted the old geforce and installed the new one  so we will see playd the game since now its good but we wil see later if it stays that way :)

No Events found!